This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The start of a new year signifies a time of new beginnings for many people, especially as we roll into a new decade. Each year, I created a list of goals or “resolutions” I wanted to accomplish by the end of the year but would more than likely forget about halfway through. Therefore, this year I decided to take a different approach and write a letter to myself instead. 

Don’t overthink, just do. Sometimes it is better to not think, just do. As I write this, I am not trying to encourage reckless behavior, rather encourage taking risks and step out of my comfort zone. I tend to talk myself out of attempting at a new skill or filling out the application for an internship I really want just because I am fearful of it not working out the way I had imagined. Therefore, I need to remind myself that life is about trial and error, as well as learning from mistakes. It is better to say that I tried and failed, rather than regretting and wondering whether or not I would have succeeded.

Be both selfless and selfish. 2020 is about taking care of myself and putting myself first. I am the kind of person who tends to always put others well being before my own to the point that I forget to take care of myself. No one can run at 100 mph forever; it’s not sustainable or realistic. Therefore, this year I hope to find a balance between the two so that I can take a step back every once in a while and be okay with it. Someone once told me that you cannot love or care for anyone else before you love and care for yourself. 

You do you. In addition to not overthinking, this year needs to be about doing what is best for myself and shutting out those who tell me otherwise. The people around you are meant to support your endeavors, even though you may not be sure of what they are yourself. Try not to listen to those who want to hinder your goals and do not have your best interest in mind. Do not pay attention to what anyone else is doing and stop comparing yourself to how much better or knowledgeable someone may be than you are. There will always be someone better, but that does not mean you can’t be just as good. 

Bad days don’t last forever. 2020 will present its own set of struggles, just like 2019 did, that I will have to get through, but that does not mean that I should let one bad day, week, or maybe even months, throw me off course from thriving. If I have made it this far, I have the will and the strength to keep going. This year confront any issue right upfront so that you can move on and get back on track. Do not sacrifice your wellbeing for the sake of others who are not a positive influence in your life. Remember that you have a support system of people who are there for you and are more than willing to help you through your struggles. 

Enjoy and be grateful for every day. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be where I am and for everything that I have. It is easy to take for granted the little things in life that people often don’t think twice about. To name a few, I am more than grateful for my education, my friends, family, and all the adventures life has allowed me to experience thus far. Every morning, I want to wake up and take a minute to reflect on everything I have to be grateful for. It is a great way to start the day off right with a little love and positivity. 

**

2019 was a year filled with mental and emotional challenges I never thought I would have to face but yet I did. Somehow, I managed to get through it and that is why I wanted to write this as a letter of encouragement and reminder to myself, and to you, that no matter what the new year throws your way, you will overcome it. Let this year be one of new adventures and living a life for which you wake up grateful for every day. 

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!