A Letter To My Roommate Before We Started College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Dear college roommate,

I thought I’d post this to the public so it wasn’t just for our enjoyment. Maybe four years from now, when we’re graduating college, we can look back at this and laugh. I’m beyond excited to spend this next year with you. This whole “college” thing is exciting, nerve-wrecking and all-so-real and coming so soon. Since we’ll be spending the next year not only in the same school, but also in the same small room, I thought I’d write something for you.

First things first, I have to admit I did stalk you. The moment we became Facebook friends, you qualified as a potential roommate of mine. I stalked your Facebook pictures, your Twitter account, your Instagram and whatever else I could get my hands on at the time. This may sound pretty shallow, but I had to make sure you looked fun and pretty and interesting. I mean, come on, you’d probably be in the majority of my Instagram photos and Snapchat stories so we would have to look cool together.

I should warn you, I’ve never shared a room with anyone. Let alone, shared anything, with anyone. Growing up as an only child, everything in the house that wasn’t my mother or fathers was mine. But, surprisingly enough, I can’t wait to share things with you. And not just clothes, beauty products and other things of that sort. I’m also talking about life advice and funny stories. I can’t wait to get to know you this year! I really look forward to hearing stories about your high school experiences and guys you’ve been with and anything else you’re willing to tell me. But you don’t have to worry about me stealing your mascara or toothbrush. Trust me I’ll have my own.

Sometimes, I talk. A lot. But that doesn’t mean you can’t talk just as much or more than me. I love to talk. I love talking most of the time, unless I’m getting my period and I’m in a bad mood. Late night talks are my favorite. I love staying up and talking to my friends until the early morning. Whether we have movie nights or wine nights, I think talking is essential to a strong friendship. Complain to me, cry to me, laugh with me or at me – I don’t care. Just don’t be shy – because once I get comfortable, I’ll be the furthest from shy.

If you didn’t know this, I really love writing and art. And I write, a lot. I’ll probably ask you for ideas of what I should write about or maybe I’ll even make you read my writing sometimes. Sorry if it gets annoying. I just need opinions. And since I’ll be writing for the school newspaper, two freelance writing sites and occasional blogs for myself and my fathers business, I’m going to need some inspiration, ideas and feedback. Sorry in advance.

I love working out. It’s my life. So yes, be prepared for me to push you to go to the gym. Sometimes early in the morning, sometimes late at night. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t love to indulge in sushi, ice cream or hot Doritos once in a while. So don’t be nervous that I’ll be on a juice cleanse the whole year so we can’t go out to eat once in a while. I’ll put my practice schedule hanging up in our room so you know when I won’t be around. Then you’ll have some peace and quiet without me.

Be prepared for the number one thing I complain about: running. I complain about running all the time even though I love it more than anything. And if I complained during high school sports, I can’t imagine how much my complaining will go up on the collegiate level. So sorry in advance if I rant on-and-on about it. You have permission to tell me to shut up whenever.

One thing about me is I don’t always like planning ahead. In my opinion, spontaneous adventures are so much more fun than planned outings. Sometimes I just feel like dressing up and getting cute and I’m going to want you to come do fun things with me. Since we’re in the city, there’s so much to do. It’s like we have the world in the palm of our hands for the next few years. And I look forward to crazy times with you. I want to go to museums, shop on SoHo, go to concerts and clubs and everything and anything else we can do. Sometimes the things I want to do will be practical, other times they won’t. If we see a concert is going on one night and we have nothing to do, we’re going to it. If we find a cool restaurant, we’re going to it. If we have an opportunity to go sky diving, we’re doing it. I love adventure and thrill and fun and I can’t wait to be living in New York City. The options for fun are endless.

Please don’t be one of those girls who sits in their dorm all day waiting for a single text from their boyfriend. I will hide your phone from you. Don’t let him stop you from going out and doing what you want because you’re only in college once. I love making new friends and I hope more than anything you’re up for fun times with me. Another thing that has nothing to do with any of that: I love coffee. And I’m going to need it every morning or I’m going to be cranky. I know there’s coffee in the dining hall, but I suggest we get a coffee maker for our room, just to save both of us.

I can’t wait to spend this next year living with you and the next four years being by your side. I’m excited to be your first roommate. I can’t wait to make so many memories together. I’m excited and incredibly nervous and I have so many thoughts and feelings that are piling up inside of me. Throughout this year, don’t be afraid of any ups and downs, homesick nights or any troubles that come your way because I’ll always be here to make you laugh and smile. This year, and for many more to come, I’m not just solely your roommate or the girl who holds your hair if you have to puke or a shoulder to cry on – I’m also here to be your best friend.

RikkiLynn is a New Jersey native who currently attends Manhattan College where she is majoring in Communications and English. She enjoys writing about all things pertaining to health, life, love, style, sex, and words. When she’s not writing, she enjoys drinking coffee, filmmaking, painting, photography, reading, running, traveling, and doing yoga. Stalk her at rikkilynn.com.