Let’s Normalize Galentine’s Day Being As Important As Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Adrianne Hutto

When I was younger I was obsessed with Valentine’s Day despite not ever having a true “valentine” until I was in college. As I’ve gotten older I have realized that my love of Valentine’s Day has nothing to do with the romantic side of it. While everyone loves receiving flowers and chocolates. You know what I love more? The aesthetic of the holiday itself. So this year, instead of being fixated on what my boyfriend is going to give me or where we’re going to go for dinner, I decided I wanted to have a Galentine’s Day party. This is something that I think more people should do, regardless of their relationship status. 

Galentine’s Day parties have been trendy really since the birth of TikTok but were widely popular last year and the trend is already coming back this year. With videos like ‘Galentine’s Day Party Inspo’ and ‘This is Your Sign to Throw a Galentine’s Day Party,’ we are sure to see some celebrations across the internet this year. 

The beauty about having a celebration like this is that, in a sense, everyone can have a Valentine. No one has to feel left out of the holiday just because of their relationship status. So, here is your guide for throwing an aesthetically pleasing Galentine’s Day Party for all the special people in your life.

1. A guide to decorations

If you’re anything like me you might be thinking, ‘geez I’m a broke student, how am I supposed to decorate for a cute holiday party?’ But it is possible. The key? Target and dollar tree/store/etc. Target has some adorable holiday decorations for under $10 that can help spice up your home for your party. Including heart shaped plates and bowls, dish towels, and many unnecessary trinkets that you ‘just have to have.’ As for your local dollar store, there are tons of random affordable little decorations you can put around your house, including heart antennae headbands for you and your guests. 

1. Must have foods

As for food, you really just have to play to the heart aesthetic as much as possible. Heart-shaped pizzas, cookies, cakes, etc are a must but obviously you have to make chocolate covered strawberries. Look on TikTok and Instagram and you will find a plethora of adorable themed treats for your party. 

1. Playlist

While there are a number of directions you can take for your party. You can go for dance party music, chill vibes, girl pop etc. But I personally think the Galentine’s Day Playlist on Spotify encapsulates all necessary vibes.

1. Execution

Lastly, have fun and enjoy yourself. Galentine’s Day should be about spending time with the people you have deep platonic love for and reminding yourself and your friends that you don’t need an s/o to enjoy the holiday of love.

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.