This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

If you’re on social media, especially TikTok, I’m sure you’ve heard all about Marvel’s new show on Disney+, WandaVision. The show has been mentioned within the Marvel and Disney companies for quite some time now, with them announcing the show’s title at Disney Investor’s Day in April 2019, although it was reported by Variety in September 2018 that Marvel was creating a limited series revolving around Wanda Maximoff and Vision. The show was finally released on January 15, 2021. The season consists of nine episodes, the final one being March 4. The first two episodes were released on January 15, but then released weekly on Fridays after that. 

The show explores a different decade through each episode, starting with the first episode being set in the 1950s and the second in the 60s. At first, regardless of whether you’ve watched the events of the Avengers movies, you’re definitely going to be confused. I’ve been excited about the series since it was announced, and I’ve been patiently waiting for over a year now, only to be insanely confused by the first few episodes. I’m pretty sure almost everyone was in the same boat. Even having watched all the MCU movies, I was left with so many questions during the first two episodes of the series. The confusion was never really helped either, since the episodes started to be released weekly only increased the number of questions I had. 

The show is fascinating and gives audiences a look into how Wanda, also known as the Scarlet Witch, handled the death of Vision in Avengers: Infinity War. I won’t give any spoilers, but the series uncovers the truth about what is happening in the town that Vision and Wanda now live in, which is Westview, New Jersey. You might be asking yourself, how is Vision alive? And you’ll just have to watch the series to find out! There are so many surprising, funny, upsetting and jaw-dropping moments in this show, and Marvel really does a great job of creating something engaging and entertaining that can provoke such strong emotions from their audience. 

WandaVision, as you progress further into the series, has visual quality like that of Marvel films. It doesn’t look like a regular TV show. WandaVision feels like you’re watching 30-35 minute films. Marvel keeps its quality through its first ever released TV show, with writing, music and visual effects that match their highly successful films. WandaVision makes me genuinely excited for other TV shows that Marvel and Disney+ are releasing, including Loki and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Knowing that Marvel puts insane effort into making these shows rather than creating an imbalance between movie quality and show quality makes me even more excited to see what they have in store with their new upcoming shows. 

If you aren’t a Marvel superfan but want to see what all the WandaVision hype is about, you might have a little bit of homework to do. You won’t be able to fully understand and enjoy WandaVision unless you have some background knowledge. I suggest you watch Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. WandaVision takes place after the events of the last Avengers movie, so being caught up with that will help you be able to watch WandaVision without an issue! Wanda and Vision both appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron, so their story starts in that film. If you’re interested though, I suggest watching all of the Marvel movies to get fully caught up with everything, since there are some characters in WandaVision that you will only recognize if you’ve seen movies such as the first two Thor movies, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man. All of the Marvel films, in timeline and release order as well, are available to watch on Disney+. Happy watching!

Kaylin Flam

Manhattan '23

Kaylin is a sophomore majoring in communications at Manhattan College. On her free time she paints, does theatre, writes and spends time outdoors.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!