Mirepoix
Mirepoix
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
Wellness > Health

It’s Soup Season: Here are some of my go-to soups for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Winter is right around the corner and soon to be in full swing. This means bundling up and Christmas shopping, and if you dislike the cold like me, then we will also be avoiding the freezing temperatures at all costs. However, with cold weather comes warm food and beverages like soup, tea, hot chocolate, and cider; I’ve made a little list of my favorite soups that keep me full, and more importantly, warm during the winter: 

1. Black Bean Soup

Not everyone is a bean girl, but if you are you must try black bean soup. Usually, when we think of beans we picture a plate with a heaping serving of white rice and red beans, in your burrito, or taco. However, black bean soup takes beans to a whole new level. I grew up eating beans and rice at least once a week, and if you are a true bean fan you know that the broth is the best part. Black Bean soup takes that broth and makes it the star of the show. This soup is filling, healthy, nostalgic, and even a recipe you can share with vegan/vegetarian friends. I’ll take two servings, please! If you are not obsessed with black beans, you can definitely swap out black beans for any other bean like red, canneli, pink, pinto, or any bean that you prefer. 

1. French Onion Soup 

When I think of French onion soup, I imagine a picturesque Parisian cafe that specializes in serving piping hot bowls of French onion soup. Anyone who has had this soup before can agree that eating it feels like a warm hug from someone you love. The combination of the rich broth, soft onions, and melted cheese is undeniably comforting. Additionally, it is super easy to make and only calls for a few ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen. This recipe may be simple but, it is a show stopper and dish that will totally impress roommates, friends, family, and partners. 

1. Broccoli Cheddar Soup 

The first time I ever had Broccoli Cheddar Soup was at Panera Bread, which is not exactly fine dining … but it did the job. Broccoli, carrots, and cheese somehow work perfectly to create this amazingly creamy and savory soup. This is definitely the most comforting of all the soups on the list and in my opinion the most comforting soup of all time. This is the perfect soup to make in a stockpot and freeze leftovers to use for later.  

1. Lobster Bisque

Lobster bisque is a classic soup that always hits the spot when I am craving a warm and creamy soup. It is the kind of soup that reminds you a bit of summer and the hot days at the beach in an edible form. My favorite lobster bisque is from Luke’s Lobster because it has the perfect mix of freshness, richness, and creaminess that is absolutely delectable, and worth the trek downtown. On the other hand, making it from scratch could be a fun date idea or activity to do with family during the holidays. 

1. Miso Soup 

Last but certainly not least, miso soup is an absolute must for my go-to winter soups. Miso soup is a classic that you can always rely on to warm you up for a meal. It is not incredibly hearty on its own, which is what makes it versatile. It is perfect if you want something light and it also works if you want something filling. You just need to add the miso soup staples: tofu, seaweed, and green onion. The simple yet powerful flavors of the miso soup are what make it so amazing.

Helen Velazquez

Manhattan '24

Hi! My name is Helen and I am a 4th-year Biology Major. I love iced dirty chai lattes, binge-watching reality tv, and cooking with my sister in my free time.