kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

It’s Finally Break, And We Deserve It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Ah, Spring Break. The week we’ve been dreaming about ever since our winter break ended. These past few weeks have been insanely busy and stress-inducing due to midterm exams, the amount of school work and activities we’ve had on top of that. All that work is officially behind us and there’s nothing left on our to do lists. We can finally breathe. Congratulations- we made it through one of the most stressful times of the year and now our only job is to relax and enjoy this well-earned time off. So, pat yourself on the back for all you’ve done–– we all deserve this much needed break. 

Even though March has only just begun, I feel like I’ve had the busiest schedule of my entire life these past few weeks. Midterms, projects, assignments, club activities–– the list unfortunately goes on. Don’t get me wrong, I sometimes love having a busy schedule. It keeps me productive and challenges me to improve my time management skills, not to mention all my activities look good on a resume. But more times than not, I hate a busy schedule. Sometimes I just want to cozy up in bed and binge watch The Office, yet recently I’ve had absolutely no time to do that. Any free time I have I need to devote to doing something productive in order to keep on top of my obligations, and not get stressed out by procrastinating. 

To be honest, I personally can’t complain too much about the mess of a busy schedule because I voluntarily put myself into it. Of course, I can’t control what work gets assigned to me and when, yet I can control what extra curriculars I do. I’m the type of person who likes to stay involved on campus and find clubs that appeal to all of my interests. I wouldn’t say I’m an over-achiever, but I want to do as much as I possibly can! If a leadership position comes my way or an opportunity opens up for a club, I want to take it because that’s just the person I am. I’m a hard worker who likes to take on challenges, and as I mentioned earlier, I like having a packed schedule at times because it keeps me busy, and I feel proud of myself for being productive.  

But if you find that you’re like me and do everything you possibly can, you’ll find yourself being spread too thin. With all the responsibilities I’ve obtained recently, I feel like I have to do everything I possibly can rather than just wantingto do it. With this in mind, I feel like I have no space for anything that’s not an assignment for a class or club. I have no time to unwind, relax, and recharge. Sometimes I find that I have no time for a good night’s sleep. 

This in turn impacts my health––mentally and physically. The week leading up to spring break, my brain felt completely fried. But our long-awaited break is here, and it’s a time where we can restore our health and revel in the free-time we so much deserve. 

We have a full week off, so now’s the time to disconnect from the busy lifestyle we’ve all been living. You’re now free to relax, catch up on sleep, and go about your day worry-free. Forget about your life at school and focus on recuperating. After having to constantly do something you now have time to do nothing, so enjoy it. We all deserve to have nothing to do on our schedules for a change.

Although it’s impressive and feels great to be involved on campus and have a busy schedule, always remember to take care of yourself. Of course, this easier said than done. In fact, I need to listen to my own advice when it comes to handling a busy schedule. Remember to schedule a break for yourself every now and then, even if it’s only for an hour. The time off for spring break is going to feel amazing, and I hate to say it, but it’ll be gone before you know it. 

Soon, we’ll be back to the mayhem, but the busy schedules will only impact us when we let it. When you start to feel like there’s too much on your plate, just breathe and reward yourself with a much-deserved break for all the hard work you’ve already done. 

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!