Is Bridgerton Season 2 As Good As the First?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Amanda Touse

Bridgerton season two came out on Netflix on March 25th, and I will admit to binging the eight-episode season in less than a day. Coming off of the popularity and passion that surrounded season one, season two had high expectations to live up to and it certainly did not disappoint. In my opinion, Bridgerton season two was actually better than the first season. For anyone who has not seen season two yet, exit out of this article now because I am about to be spilling tea and spoilers like this is the Boston Harbor.

First off, season two was filled with way more character development and backstory that we were lacking in season one. The season really dives into Anthony’s past and why he is so scared of falling in love, as well as why he is so serious (and somewhat stuck up) about his duty to his family. We also see the struggle that Lady Bridgerton had following the passing of her husband, whilst still being pregnant and having to simultaneously deal with grief, childbirth, and the shift in the power dynamic as Anthony technically became the head of the house. 

I’m also in love with how they portrayed Eloise in the season because they really showed her as being a passionate feminist that does not subscribe to the preconceived gender and societal norms of women during this time. At the end of season one, it was revealed that Penelope was Lady Whistledown and in season two, we see more of the behind the scenes of how she actually accomplishes this business and the obstacles that she must jump through to keep her cover. Colin and Benedict are also seen on paths of self-discovery throughout season two.

Also, this season was jam packed with scandal and side stories. There was the Featherington’s whole cousin marriage entrapment (which is just really creepy and weird even if it was socially acceptable at the time) and their once again need to stay away from bankruptcy. Also, Eloise’s blossoming friendship (and maybe potential relationship) with Theo, which I love so much because I feel like she finally has someone who understands her intellectually. The matter of the Sheffield’s stipulation for Edwina’s marriage also proved to be an interesting scandal that not surprisingly, ended up kind of biting them in the ass.

Most importantly, the dynamic and romance between Kate and Anthony was far superior to Simon and Daphne’s. I don’t know about you, but I love a good enemies to lovers trope; the sexual tension combined with the passionate hatred for one another always leaves me on the edge of my seat. Watching Kate and Anthony constantly bicker and then get so close and heated with one another was so entertaining and had me screaming at my tv screen for them to kiss. This plotline for the characters’ romance is also deeper than Daphne and Simon’s was because it is based off of falling in love with someone and not being able to help it, even hating the person cannot keep the connection away. While Daphne and Simon’s romance was also great, I feel as if it lacked the deep connection and development that was portrayed in Anthony and Kate’s and was more so based on a lust and carnal attraction. Kate and Anthony were also so similar and had so many shared ideologies that their compatibility made so much sense which is why they clashed so much. This season gave me a lot of Pride and Prejudice: Darcy and Lizzie and The Princess Diaries: Mia and Nicholas vibes in the best way possible.

All in all, both seasons are amazing and binge-worthy but I have no shame in saying that I have watched season two twice within ten days of it coming out and if that’s not an indication into which season I liked more, then I don’t know what is.

Amanda is a junior business analytics major at Manhattan College. She is a member of Women in Business, Music Ministry, the O'Malley School of Business Honors Program, and Performing Hearts (Manhattan College's Female A capella Group). Amanda is also an intern for the Lasallian Women and Gender Resource Center.