This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Essential oils are nothing new, but I find many people still question their purpose, how to use them, and whether they’re worth a try. I am no expert, but I was introduced to essential oils at a very young age and continue to use them regularly in a variety of ways. Before we get into the how, I want to first clarify what exactly essential oils are. 

Essential oils the natural, highly concentrated essence of a plant that have a very potent aroma. The use of these oils date all the way back to ancient Chinese, Roman, and Egyptian times when they were used for aromatherapy and personal hygiene. High-quality essential oils are known to help with sleep, inflammation, burns, acne, etc. Depending on how the oil is grown, harvested, and tested, can affect its quality. Therefore, it is important to research the company and brand of the oil before purchasing.

When it comes to which essential oils to use and how to use them, the options are “essentially” endless. You can combine oils or use them individually depending on what you are treating or which new recipe you are testing. When applying oils to the face, make sure to keep them away from the eye area because it can cause irritation. If oil does get in the eye, simply get a clean cloth and wipe olive oil over the affected area. 

Some of my favorite oils include lavender, tea tree, orange, digestzen, and peppermint. Read below on how to utilize these specific oils!

Lavender: I like to apply lavender to the bottom of my feet, wrists, below the nose, and temples before bed, or diffuse to help sleep. This oil can also soothe minor burns or calm irritated skin. 

Tea Tree: Personally, tea tree oil is my most reliable form of spot treating acne. Just make sure to apply a serum or moisturizer before the oil because of its high-concentration. It can also be added to shampoo to get rid of dandruff.

Orange: Orange is one of my favorite oils to diffuse because it promotes an uplifting atmosphere and high spirits when inhaled. 

DigestZen: This specific oil comes in handy when you have a stomach ache or cramps. The cooling sensation this oil produces can help soothe any such uncomfortable feelings.

Peppermint: My last, but definitely not least, favorite oil is peppermint. Like DigestZen, peppermint produces a similar cooling sensation that is useful in treating headaches, or other bodily aches and pains. 

Above I have provided a snapshot into what there is to know about essential oils and how to use them. From the hundreds of oils there are to choose from, each have their own unique benefits and uses depending on what you are looking for. Always make sure to inform yourself on the oils before use and you’ll be good to go!

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!