This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Writing cover letters can undoubtedly feel overwhelming for College Students. There’s so much conflicting advice online, and it’s hard to navigate this explosion of opinions. But don’t worry! In this article, I will explain everything you need to know about writing the perfect cover letter.

First, let’s start by explaining what a cover letter is. A cover letter is a one-page business letter you pair with your resume when applying for a job. It is a way to highlight your skills, experience, and reasons why you’d be best for the job. Although this is true, do not rewrite your resume and paste it onto your cover letter. This page is to give a personality to the application. Depending on how you write your cover letter, it can affect your chances of getting the job. That’s why it’s crucial to perfect the formula of a cover letter. 

Getting started is always the most challenging part. I recommend starting with researching the company. Try to gauge what kind of employee they’re looking for. Emphasize the specific skills needed for the job compared to others not listed in the application. Mold your experience into exactly what the company is looking for. Make it as hard as possible for them to reject your application. 

Once you have all the necessary information about the company, begin with the first paragraph. The first sentence of your cover letter should be an attention grabber that’s unique to you. Something that will entice the reader and separate you from the rest. Keep in mind that the employer is constantly reading cover letters. So, you must be creative with your wording. After that, introduce yourself and your background and how that connects to the position. Reel them in with pathos and empathy. This makes your application more than an application; it’s a person with passions and interests. 

Then, the second paragraph. This paragraph is all about showing yourself off and connecting your experience to the responsibilities of the job. It’s giving evidence to prove your belief of being the best candidate. State what skills and lessons you learned from working in each of your previous jobs and how that makes you perfect for this one. 

Lastly, the third paragraph. This is your way of concluding everything you stated before. Take your personal connection to the job and pair it with your experience. Show your understanding and appreciation of the company and what they’re doing. Then, tie it with a pretty bow with the last sentence to wrap it all up. Make it a finishing sentiment that will stay with the employer. 

Overall, your cover letter does hold importance in your chances of getting the job. But don’t let it stress you out. Think of it as a formula; all you have to do is copy and paste the necessary information and format it to fit well with the company and position. There is so much potential that comes with a cover letter, and you want to respect its importance. Take the time to perfect it and make it a symbol of who you are as an employee and how you’ll be in this position. Overall, just remember, you got this! 

Ashley Karlosky

Manhattan '27

Ashley Karlosky is a communications major with a concentration in advertising. She dreams of using her degree to head Social Media at a fashion or women's magazine. Ashley's been fascinated with recording her life through video blogs since she was twelve. Capturing the little moments life has to offer has always captivated her. Although she doesn't use her old point-and-shoot camera, she still loves documenting her life via Instagram and YouTube, especially with her recent start at Manhattan College as a freshman. Manhattan is only a train away, and she can't wait to write about her adventures and share her experiences in the city. Her interest includes fashion, music, social media, and food. She loves going on walks and debriefing with her friends about her day. She is obsessed with anything Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and her dog Remi. She hopes to make a difference in this world through her work and leave it better than when she came. Ashley is excited to write for Her Campus and share her perspective on fashion, current events, and pop culture. She aspires to help at least one girl out there and answer the questions she wishes she had the answers to when she was young.