This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Whether you are going into your first year of college or your last, no matter who you live with, there will always be things you do not agree on. Despite having a normal and friendly relationship, you truly do not know someone until you live with them. In order to keep your roommate relationship a healthy and fun one, I think one of the most beneficial things you can do is talk about your boundaries straight away. Having these rules and expectations out in the open as early as possible allows you and your roommate to be able to communicate with each other in positively.

One thing that I have found very helpful is letting my roommate know when I am tired and need some relaxation time. As many college students know, waking up for early morning classes is not the most fun thing to do, and sometimes you need a little extra rest. I love taking naps and having some quiet time, so when I feel a little sleepy I let my roommate know so when she comes into the room she is quiet. This helps avoid some cranky arguments as a result of waking me from my peaceful and cherished slumber.

Unfortunately, I have had experiences with people not respecting my space and in turn I decided to sit down and talk to them about it. Communication is so important when living with someone new and it helps to prevent any future problems. If they keep the room too hot or too cold, talk to them about possibly making a compromise on a temperature. However, during these conversations, it is crucial that you approach them with respect and an even tone because although you may be frustrated, getting in a fight will just make things worse.

Going along with placing boundaries regarding your space, you need to make sure that your roommates respect your things. Whether that be valuables, clothes, brushes, perfume, you name it! If one of your roommates asks to borrow something of yours once, that one time request does not mean they can borrow  whatever, whenever they want. They have to communicate every single occasion they may want to use or borrow something that they do not own and in doing that, it builds up trust. Once trust is broken, it is very hard to get back. 

Lastly, if your roommate truly is unbearable and not listening to you or respecting your space and your peace, try to spend less time in your room. As sad as this may sound because your room may be a nice relaxation spot and safe place for you, but this can also be viewed in a more positive light. Spending less time in your room can allow for you to make new friends and enjoy new experiences. These two things will lead you on many many different paths and allow you to see life in a different perspective. Even though your roommates may not be your best friends, try and communicate with them, and if that doesn’t work, there are so many more people out there, and one of them may end up being your next best friend!

Fiona Dunkel

Manhattan '26

Hi, I'm Fiona! I am a Psychology major and a hopeful future Psychiatrist. I am an undergrad at Manhattan College from Albany, NY. I live with my parents, a little sister named Charlotte, and a dog named Cassie. I am an avid crime show watcher and romance reader. I LOVE coffee and going to little cafes around the city to try out different drinks. I used to play very competitive soccer but stopped due to injury and now my hobbies include spending money on very expensive skincare products and buying overpriced iced lattes. I hope to study abroad within the next two years to be able to broaden my view of the world and learn more about different cultures! My dream is to go to Spain and watch a professional soccer game. My passion for writing started when I was in 3rd grade. I was constantly reading books of all genres and lengths and I wondered if I could write my own. I wrote little songs and mystery "novels," short stories, and poems whenever I could. In the sixth grade, I was recognized for my efforts and one of my poems was to be in a gallery at a nearby college. It jumpstarted my love for writing and ever since then I have constantly written down my thoughts, as well as written and published a book for my English class which was very exciting! I love writing about just about anything, especially when it comes to female empowerment and things I am interested in!