This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Samantha Keating

A friendship breakup is arguably even worse than a break up within a relationship. Within a friendship you form bonds you believe to be life long; yet people change and grow apart. The friendships you have at 14 are most likely not the ones you maintain at age 24. While a breakup with a friend is painful it’s sometimes necessary for your own personal growth.

To begin with coping with the loss of your friendship make sure to acknowledge the reasons why it ended. Maybe you were in different places.. Or perhaps your life views do not align with one another anymore. Whatever the reason, acknowledge that your friendship ended for a reason. While it’s hard to deal with a lost friendship it is sadly a part of life and growing up. The person you were in high school isn’t who you are now, and that’s a wonderful thing. If your friend breakup ended more recently, chose to remember the good times and be mindful of why it could not go on. Sometimes people aren’t meant to be in one anothers lives forever , they’re meant to teach you a lesson and be the temporary presence you needed at the time.

Whatever the reason your friendship ended; it is okay to reminisce and think back on the good times. Just remember you are missing the memories and feeling nostalgic, not the person. While friendships ending is difficult it is sometimes what you need to keep growing. People are placed in your life as blessings and lessons, whichever they end up being their overall presence was substantial to the person you are becoming.

Even if your friendship was not forever, the memories will remain with you for a lifetime. The best thing you can do for yourself is focus on what is best for you and surround yourself with people who make you happy each and every day. 

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!