This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

So, it’s 2020. With current social distancing guidelines, dating apps such as Tinder, Hinge, and Bumble are being used now more than ever. Online dating can be a great thing. It allows us to meet people that we have never met before and gives us a chance to form new connections. But with that comes a lot of responsibility. Unfortunately, not everyone you meet is going to have good intentions with you. A huge issue with online dating is the concept that has become known as catfishing. Catfishing is when a person is pretending to be someone that they’re really not (ex; old creepy man, a girl messing with you). It sucks and can be dangerous. As someone who has been through a lot of online dating, and actually did get catfished once, here are some tips on how to stay safe and avoid catfishing:

STALK STALK STALK

Yes, ladies, it’s time to use your stalking skills, because here, they’re valid! Find this person’s social media, whether it’s Instagram, Twitter, whatever. Make sure they’re real! If they don’t have a lot of followers, this could also be an indication of a fake account, so beware!

Use Reverse Search Imaging

By using this feature, you can see whether a person has used this image before to catfish somebody else, or is using a fake picture. The internet is a wonderful thing!

Ask to See Their Face

Whether it’s over text or Snapchat, seeing their face is important and HUGE. If they can’t show their face, don’t trust them.

Be Aware of What They’re Asking You

If they’re asking you questions that don’t seem like basic getting to know you questions, it’s not a good sign. They’re probably out trying to get something out of you such as money or something else. 

Don’t Share What You’re Not Comfortable With

Seems basic, but don’t share your personal information. You also don’t owe this person anything! You don’t have to share anything that you’re not comfortable with! Also, if you feel as though a person is acting inappropriately towards you, you have a right to report them!

I hope these tips help you stay safe during online dating!

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.