This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As you look at this year’s midterms in the rearview mirror (thank goodness), you might be in a cloud of confusion as to how you even survived. Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, a planner or a crammer, we all find ourselves every once in a while looking for ways to be more organized as a means of being less stressed. So to prepare you for your next stressful testing time, whether that’s finals in December or a series or tests in the upcoming weeks, here are a few tips on how to keep yourself organized and on top of everything (including the world!)

1. GET A PLANNER: By far the most important part of staying organized is having a planner. Not only can you write down homework assignments and upcoming tests, but you can make to-do lists and pen-in meetings. Whether you like one with lines or with a blank space for each day, a planner will help you visualize your tasks. Make sure you check out Paper Source, Lilly Pulitzer, Kate Spade, and Anthropologie for adorable planners.
  2. MANAGE YOUR TIME:  I know it might be easier said than done, but properly managing your time is extremely vital in staying organized. Allot yourself time to do each of your tasks by doing little things in between classes. When you get tedious things like cleaning your room and doing your laundry done in between classes, you have more time at night to do all of the things you need to do academically. For some people it might mean setting alarms on your phone or getting a watch. Definitely check out Etsy, Target, and Anthropologie for cute watches.
  3. KNOW HOW YOU LEARN: This might seem obvious, but recognize how you learn best, and apply those tactics to your work. Some people swear by flashcards, some people swear by re-copying notes or making a study guide. Some people can work in study groups, and some people can’t do anything with other people or any noise around. Find out what works best for you. This is just a situation of trial and error, so test the waters in different habits and find the perfect one for yourself.
  4. DON’T FORGET TO TAKE A BREAK: Sometimes it’s hard to take a break when you’re cramming or super stressed out about your work, but it’s been proven that taking breaks allows for the brain to process all of the information that it’s taking in, which is ultimately how you will get the most out of your study session. Try to take a 5 or 10-minute break for every hour that you work. This could mean getting up to stretch, grabbing a coffee or a glass of water, doing a little yoga or meditation, or even just closing your eyes and taking a deep breath. Again, finding the thing that works best to de-stress yourself is a situation of trial and error, and is different for everyone. Afterwards, you will feel focused and ready to conquer your tasks. A little R&R never hurt anyone!
  5. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE: Staying focused often means keeping your eye on the prize. Think about why you’re doing what you’re doing and how succeeding in the task will get you closer to where you want to be. This will ultimately drive you to do the first 4 things on this list to let you reach your goal.