tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

How to Show Your Friends You Appreciate Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

“Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart” –– Eleanor Roosevelt

It’s a comforting feeling knowing you have a friend who cares, supports and is able to have fun with you. Most importantly, when you fall, your friend is there to catch you and pick you back up. I feel blessed to have friends in my life that I can laugh, cry and love with, and they accept me for my true self. These friends have left footprints in my heart and I can’t imagine my life without them. It’s a special feeling knowing you have people who care for you––but friendship is a two-way street. Here’s a list of ways to return the favor and express appreciation for your friends.

Reach out

After going away college I had to leave some of my best friends from home behind, only being able to see them a few times during the school year. Everyone who goes off to school deals with this, yet we make new friends. With new people in a new environment, it’s basically like we have a new life, and it can be easy to forget about your life back at home. To show you appreciate your friends back home, simply send a text saying that you’re thinking about them–– it shows you care. Feel free to do the same with your college friends too. It can be as simple as just reminding someone how thankful you are for their friendship. 

Do something nice

You can adequately express your appreciation of a friend through words, but if you want to take it a step further, show your appreciation through actions and acts of kindness. You obviously don’t have to give them something tangible (like a gift) because there are plenty of ways to show you care without doing so. But, your friends will love it if you surprise them with a gift (who doesn’t like receiving gifts right?). For Valentine’s day this year I bought my roommates chocolate from a shop in my hometown and they loved it! One of my best friends goes to school in Virginia and for her birthday next week, I’m sending her cookies! Gestures like these will make your friends feel happy and appreciated, and you’ll feel good knowing that you brightened their day. 

Be considerate

This is a general rule of thumb in life, to be considerate of others and those around you. But it’s especially important when it comes to friendships. Sometimes we get caught up in our own busy lives that we forget about our relationships with others. I’m not saying that we’re all inconsiderate around other people but try putting your friends and other’s needs before yours every now and then. It could even be for the simplest things, for example if your friend wants to eat at this one restaurant you don’t like, go along anyways and make the most of it! It’ll mean a lot to your friend knowing you sacrificed your wants for theirs. 

Designate time 

Going back to how busy our lives can get, it can sometimes be hard to make time for other people. Not to mention you probably have different friendships through clubs and classes, and you end up spending a good portion of your time with those people. Meeting new people and making new friends is amazing, and it’s one of my favorite things about being at college. As important as it is to show some love for your new friends, don’t forget to appreciate your old friends who’ve been there from the start. Set aside some time to hang out or chat with your friends on FaceTime. It will mean so much knowing you took time off from your busy life to spend time with them. 

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!