This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Online shopping is a fun and addicting habit to acquire, but let’s shop smarter, not harder. There are just so many cute clothes that pile up to hundred of dollars in everyone’s cart. The best way to shop for clothes while on a budget, especially when in college, is to look for sales. Rather than buying clothes from expensive websites, wait until they are on sale. A habit of mine is that every time I go online shopping, I go straight to the clearance section so I don’t tempt myself with full-priced items.

Some examples of the websites that have cute clothing and frequently have sales are American Eagle, Aerie, and Express. Some in-store cheap clothes can be found at Marshalls and T.J. Maxx. Rather than buying a Champion sweatshirt for $70 at Urban Outfitters, take a walk in Marshalls and see if they have what you are looking for. I have gone into Marshalls so many times and been surprised to see name brand items like Champion sweatshirts and Levi’s demi jackets at a reduced price. Another great store for cheaper graphic and band tees is Cotton-On. 

A great tip for shopping for clothes is to buy articles of clothing out of season because they are usually on sale. I typically buy Aerie sweaters over the summer for around $20, rather than paying $50 when they are in-season. Overall, in order to get more clothes of decent quality at a cheap price I would recommend looking for sales coming up, as well as quality websites with less expensive clothing. An important thing to remember is that just because something isn’t a name brand, that doesn’t mean it won’t last long and make a great addition to your wardrobe.

Kaitlyn Hennig

Manhattan '23

I am in my sophomore year as a psychology major at Manhattan College.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!