This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Finals. The last obstacle in running through the finish line of this semester. We have survived all that this semester has thrown at us so far and it is time to start preparing for the end. Finals week is always a hectic, stressful, and nerve-wracking experience, and with hybrid learning this semester, it is confusing as well. The best way to make sure you are ready to ace your finals this year is to start preparing early, and this is how you can:

Check the registrar’s office website to find the dates and times of your final exams for each class you are taking.

The registrar’s office is in charge of creating the final exam schedule for both common and course-specific exams. Each semester, they post the schedule way in advance so students can work their schedule around their exam times as they are most likely not at the same time as your course meeting time. Make sure to check both the common exam and course-specific schedule and write them down in your Google calendar, planner, or any other organizer you use for school so you do not miss your exam!

Be aware of the three finals in one day rule and reach out to your professor in advance if it applies to you.

A few years back, Manhattan College created a rule that no student is allowed to take three or more final exams on one day. If you are scheduled to take three exams on one day, you must reach out to the professor of the exam scheduled second that day. If you are scheduled to take four exams in one day, you must reach out to the professors of the second and fourth exams. Make sure to check out the registrar’s office website for more information on this rule.

Ask your professor for information about your final exam and what it will entail.

Each professor, or department, makes their final exam different from the next. Before starting to study for your exam, find out whether it will be cumulative or not, what platform you will be taking it on, and what it will look like. This information will help guide you in creating study sheets and other review materials.

Gather all the materials used in each course.

Most final exams do not just cover the notes you take during class. You want to make sure you have access to all the articles, textbooks, presentations, videos, handouts and homework assignments your professors have provided you with throughout the semester. All of these are fair game when it comes to the questions on the final.

Create a study group. 

Study groups are one of my favorite ways to prepare for my finals as they allow me to check information with my peers. They are also a great way to collaborate on study guides and make sure you remember and are confident with all the information that has been covered in the course.

Breathe and take some time for yourself.

As I said earlier, finals week and the days leading up to it are very stressful. It is important to take some time for yourself to relax and focus on your health during the week. You’ll do better and be able to focus more on your exams if your mind and body are relaxed and in good health. 

Finals week does not have to be as scary and nerve-wracking as it can be if you prepare correctly. You’ve made it too far to lose hope. You’ve got this!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!