How to Pre-Game for the 2016 Oscars

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Many of us movie lovers and loyal Leonardo DiCaprio supporters will be spending some extra time near the television this Sunday, February 28th, to admire red carpet attire, laugh at our favorite stars, and complain about how the Oscars are so, tragically, white (again). That aside, and assuming this is part of your weekend plan, you are not only guilty of missing The Walking Dead, but you are in for a real treat: approximately four hours of American primetime.

Naturally, before any epic event, you’ve got to pre-game; and by “pre-game,” I’m talking about some serious fact prepping and hardcore movie trailer binging – if you’re really into it. So whether or not you want Leo to take the Oscar home this year, just know that The Revenant was nominated TWELVE times. That’s over 50% of all nominations. The 88th Annual Academy Awards Show will air this Sunday at 5:30 p.m. PST (8:30 p.m. for us in New York) and here’s what you need to know: 

• Chris Rock will be our host. Let me remind you that Chris Rock is amazing. Among my favorite works of his are Beverly Hills Cop II, Madagascar, Everbody Hates Chris, The Chris Rock Show, and Saturday Night Live. Fun fact: just over 10 years ago, Rock hosted the 77th Academy Awards. 
  • After an incredible tribute to The Sound of Music last year, Lady Gaga will return to the stage and perform her original and nominated track, “Til It Happens to You.” Other presenters and performers include: Common, Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Sofía Vergara, Kerry Washingon, The Weeknd, Sam Smith, Kevin Hart, Ryan Gosling, Whoopi Goldberg and over twenty more.
  • Ok, so of course we have Best Actor and Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Best Director, Best Picture, yada yada yada. If you watched Spotlight, The Revenant, Brooklyn, Mad Max Fury Road, The Martian, Trumbo, The Danish Girl, Bridge of Spies, The Big Short, Joy, or Room, you did well and I applaud you. But remember: from Best Foreign Film to Best Animated Feature, familiarize yourself with all nominees! Jennifer Lawrence has been working hard, we all know, but there are other great stars out there. 

Even looking back on the glory of previous years, I still very much look forward to the Oscars and can’t wait to see the results, or cringe at all the presidential candiate jokes, and enjoy the mass of trolling for days to follow. 

Hi all - I like moving pictures.