Style

How to Make Your St. Patrick’s Day Outfit Festive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As a former Irish dancer and an avid parade enthusiast, I adore St. Patrick’s Day and all of its fun celebrations. However, dressing for the holiday’s parties (or “darties”) as a college girl can be quite stressful. Not everyone has a lot of green in their closet and you can’t just put a green jersey over a hoodie as our male peers can. But with the right inspiration, you can make shamrock green a look that you feel confident in! Here are some outfit ideas to make your SPD outfit look festive and trendy! 

1. Irish Wool Sweaters 

An Irish sweater is the epitome of St. Patrick’s Day apparel. Throwing on a big Irish sweater with some blue straight jeans and either white AF1s or black combat boots is an easy and stylish outfit. If green isn’t your color this works perfectly because it doesn’t get more Irish-festive than wool! 

2. Anything From a Thrift Store 

I tell my friends who complain about owning nothing green that St. Patrick’s Day parties roll around every year, so they should go to a thrift store. Walking into any thrift store right now, you will find endless (and cheap!) green shirts and sweatshirts. You can easily find a random St. Patrick Day oversized tee shirt or hoodie and go home and crop it to make your perfect outfit. In addition to saving money, thrift stores are a sustainable way to shop and help the planet. 

3. Green Cargo Pants 

Green cargo pants are an unexpected item that can actually really make a cute St. Paddy’s day fit. A darker green color or even camo are festive and so cute. 

4. A big fuzzy jacket 

March can be a very cold month depending on where you live and you shouldn’t freeze just to look cute. Fuzzy coats or faux fur are very on trend right now and will keep you nice and warm. An oversized green crew neck with leggings and sneakers with a big fuzzy jacket is a comfortable and cute outfit. 

5. Layers 

Layering long sleeve shirts or turtle necks underneath tee shirts is everywhere right now. Not only will layering be stylish, but it is also a way to stay warm if you’re going to be outside in the cold for awhile. 

6. A Bandana 

A bandana wrapped in your hair like a scarf is very trendy right now (thanks Charlie D’Amelio). This is a nice touch to your outfit and your festivity. 

7. Cardaigns 

Cardigans are my favorite clothing item right now and I wear them constantly. A green turtleneck with a white cardigan over top, or if you have a green turtleneck, that’s even better.

8. Hair Clips 

Hair clips are very versatile and easy to find. You can easily find some cheap black or colorful clips at a drug store like Rite Aid or CVS. Stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Forever 21, Urban etc. have very cute pearl ones. Doing a middle part with a clip on each side would be a good way to spice up your outfit. 

9. Turtlenecks 

Turtlenecks are another wardrobe staple that is very useful for St. Patrick’s Day. You can wear a green one or layer a white one underneath a green tee shirt. Turtlenecks can basically be worn with anything and look good. 

10. Stickers and Glitter 

This one is pretty self explanatory but super festive and cute on your face! My friends and I love putting green glitter for St. Patrick’s Day on our cheeks like highlighter.

Maggie Gallagher

Manhattan '22

Maggie is a sophomore studying business at Manhattan College in New York City. Her hometown is Buffalo, NY and will always be a Bills fan. She loves following the latest trends in fashion, beauty, skincare, and everything current events- whether it be Kardashian drama or public policy updates. When she is not lounging around watching Tik Toks, you can find her hanging with friends or exploring NYC.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!