How to Make Your Skin/Beauty Routine More Sustainable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

What does it mean to live sustainably and why should people care? What difference does it make if the product you buy comes in recycled material or is wrapped in plastic? Most simply stated, sustainability implies doing your part to reduce your contribution to the overabundance of consumption of earth’s natural resources in order to prevent harm to our environment. It means you are conscious of your imprint and minimizing any unnecessary waste. Sustainable living is one of the best things we can do to protect our natural environment and live healthier lives. 

When it comes to your morning and night routines, have you ever stopped to count how many products you are using? How is it packaged? Consider the steps of your various routines and decide how many products do you actually need? Even if you cannot bear the thought of cutting a step out of your daily skincare regimen, hopefully you can swap it out for another product that produces less waste. There are various ways in which you can swap your daily habits for more sustainable practices, but the focus of this article is self-care and beauty/makeup. To be mindful and aware is crucial and the gateway to furthering personal sustainability initiatives. 

Self-Care

Shampoo and Soap 

Bars of soap are nothing new, but it never hurts to seek out fresh, handmade products that not only smell amazing, but leave your hands supple and smooth. However, it seems as if a lot of people are still confused about the idea of bar shampoo. These bars function the same as any other shampoo, but take up little space and are the perfect environmentally-friendly swap for your shower routine.    

Lush Cosmetics for my favorite shampoo bars…

https://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysT5sev-5AIVGmy GCh0-2QmyEAAYASAAEgJeFPD_BwE

Dr. Bronner’s for organic and fairtrade certified soap…

https://shop.drbronner.com/castile-bar-soap#scent=Lavender

Face masks

No self-care session is complete without a face mask, but too often do we resort to the convenient, yet    wasteful, single-use sheet masks. Great alternatives include making your own DIY face masks out of whole, natural ingredients, or buying one’s that only require you to add water before application. Lush Cosmetics has a great system in which after you use five of their face masks and return the cleaned container, they give you one free of charge!

Natural deodorant 

Zero waste deodorant was a completely new concept I did not discover until recently when my mom introduced it to me. It came in a little glass jar in which you apply the cream directly with your hands. I found it to be just as effective, or even better than the usual deodorant stick and they smell great!

Bamboo toothbrush 

It may be difficult to explain to your dentist why you are turning down their free toothbrush, but the environment will thank you. Bamboo toothbrushes seem to be more accessible as they are popping up in-stores all over. These brushes are no different than a regular toothbrush, except for when it is time to switch it out, you dispose of it in the compost instead of the garbage. 

Flossing

Flossing is probably one of the last things in my routine I would have thought about switching to being more sustainable. Water picks are the way to go for keeping up with your oral health and keeping those pearly whites plaque free. Not only do I find water picks to be more effective, but this investment will also save you more in the long run.

Beauty/Makeup

Makeup Remover

Opt for reusable cotton pads or microfiber cloths and an oil-based makeup remover, such as coconut oil, instead of makeup wipes. 

Mascara

Do you have too many old mascara tubes laying around to count? Instead of letting them create any more clutter, clean your mascara wands and repurpose them for an eyebrow spoolie or lash brush. Some organizations even let you donate old mascara wands and put them to good use instead of letting them end up in landfills. 

Donate to https://www.appalachianwild.org/wands-for-wildlife.html to help the animals!

Bamboo makeup brushes/packaging 

As I mentioned previously, try to be considerate of the type of packaging your product comes in. If possible, opt for 100% recyclable or biodegradable materials, such as aluminum, glass, or bamboo. Just be sure to clean your containers before recycling them. 

Solid perfume or essential oils

When it comes to perfume, it is very common and quite easy to find bottles made out of glass with minimal packaging. Instead of going through a new perfume every month and producing a lot of unnecessary waste, I suggest investing in one of your favorite scents that may be more expensive, but will last you much longer. Although more unconventional, brands such as doTERRA sell essential oils that double as perfumes and come in a variety of scents.  

Repurpose products

There are a variety of ways to repurpose old products beyond your mascara wands. In the spirit of “less is more,” try using your lipstick as blush, or an eyeshadow to fill in your brows. You’ll find that many of your products can be used beyond their intended purpose.It not only saves you money, but the environment as well. 

The purpose of sustainable living is to do what you can for the health and wellness of both self and the planet. There is no one right or wrong way to do it; what matters is that you are taking initiative and doing something. Spread the word to raise awareness about sustainable/zero-waste living and encourage those around you to do the same. “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” – Vivienne Westwood

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!