Wellness

How I’m Keeping My New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When it comes to New Year’s resolutions, they’re often easier said than done. We all know the feeling, you start off January with a slew of fresh ideas and aspirations, but by the time December rolls around, you’re left disappointed by how few you’ve actually checked off your list. However, I don’t think this means we have to scrap New Year’s resolutions altogether, I think we just need to try a softer approach with them. One that leaves sufficient room for the growth and change that we’re all bound to experience over the course of the year. This year, I am determined to keep my New Year’s resolutions, but I’m trying out new methods that are a little more realistic than writing out everything I want, and hoping for the best. 

For the actual list itself; I think that taking hard stances with your wording such as “walk more” or “procrastinate less” is never the most productive. These statements are not only vague, but they’re limiting, they don’t actually pave the way for you to make these changes. This year, it became trendy to write “ins and outs” lists in place of typical New Year’s resolutions. This trend, spearheaded by author and influencer Eli Rallo, deems things like “avocado oil” and “kissing strangers” in for 2024, while things such as “situationships” and “insecurity” are out. This approach is more fun and offers more room for creativity, but I still find the wording a bit too strict. It leaves too much room for shame when you partake in something considered “out,” plus our perceptions of what is outdated are prone to change during the year. That’s why personally, I swapped the restrictive terms “in and out” for forgiving terms like “more and less”. By writing what you want to do more of and less of, there’s no need to punish yourself for doing something you want to do less of or not doing something you want to do more of. Instead, the list serves as a reminder of the changes you want to integrate into your life, while still leaving room for error. 

In addition to the “ more and less” list, I also made a running checklist of things I want to do during the year. Ranging from simple, easy-to-check-off items such as “make a Google calendar” or  “watch the Bachelor premiere with my friends” to more lofty aspirations like “land an internship” or “take a big vacation.” The best part about this list is that it’s ongoing, it can always be added to, and the things that aren’t checked off this year can be carried over to the next. 

The next step is the hardest: putting your resolutions into action. This year, I’m approaching my resolutions as fun challenges, but not necessities. Every time I achieve something on my check-off list, it’s a little reward and dopamine hit, but it’s not a competition.  Every time I see myself doing something I want to do more of, I reflect on my progress, maybe buy myself a little bubble tea to celebrate, and journal about how best to maintain those habits. Remember, it takes three months for the brain to form a habit, breaking old ones takes even longer, but taking slow and steady steps and being mindful of even a smidge of progress, as well as reflecting on why you might be plateauing or regressing in your progress is the best way to move forward. In conclusion, it is your year and your life and only you know how to live it best. Sometimes over twelve months, we can find ourselves pushed in unexpected but incredible directions that may redirect us from our original plans. There is no right or wrong, but it’s also never too late or too hard to become who you truly want to be.

Siena DeMarco

Manhattan '25

Hi! I'm Siena, I'm a sophomore English major at Manhattan College with a love of writing, sappy poetry and reality tv. I’m the Assistant Campus Coordinator of our Her Campus chapter and am very excited for the year ahead! On campus, I’m also a member Alpha Pi Phi sorority where I serve as external programming officer. I care deeply about uplifting and supporting my fellow girls and am excited to continue to do so by joining Her Campus!