This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Right before moving back into school for my Junior year, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a reproductive issue that causes an increase of cyst growth on your ovaries, basically just very painful periods and ovulation.

I already knew I had it before I was diagnosed because I was getting multiple cysts on my ovaries, which just made my day-to-day life very painful. There is no cure or reliable treatment, but I have found a few different things that help me when I’m not doing great.

Heating Pads

Whoever invented heating pads can take all my money! Although they’re certainly not a long-term solution, it helps so much at the moment with cramps and for decreasing the pain. For me, I do heating pad therapy for about 30 minutes at a time throughout the day and I notice a difference in the severity of my cramps after I do it.

CBD Gummies

It has been proven many times that CBD has helped with menstrual cramps for people with reproductive issues. For me personally, taking one or two in the morning can make the cramps throughout the day a lot more bearable.

Walking

I know that this might be obvious, but exercise is super important and helpful when you have PCOS and chronic cramps. It can be hard to get out of bed when you are in so much pain and sometimes it’s good to sit and rest! Your body needs it! But your body also needs exercise. Going on a walk for 30 minutes can help alleviate cramps and also make you feel better overall.

This illness is different for everyone, but these are a few things that I do that help me live my life a little bit easier!

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.