This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

COVID-19 has changed the way of life for many across the world for over a year now, and Manhattan College is no exception. Cases are still on the rise and in some ways coming in contact with someone who has it seems inevitable, even as I’m writing this, I’m on day nine of a close contact quarantine. After the initial shock hit, I thought I could use this time as a staycation of sorts and get ahead in all of my schoolwork—In reality, none of this happened. Being confined to an empty suite and only being allowed to open your door to get your food three times a day, is less than ideal. However, I developed some helpful tools to help me keep my spirits lively in this time of isolation.

Tool 1: Rely On Your Friends and Family

One of the worst parts of quarantine is the lack of social contact. In my early days, I was quite literally yelling out my window to people as they passed by. Being able to facetime my family and friends throughout the day when I start feeling stir crazy grounds me and makes me feel less alone. Even if it was something as simple as being on facetime with my mom and listening to the everyday interactions at my home helped me forget that I was without physical contact and made me feel like I was actually with them.

Tool 2: Be Active

Studies have shown that exercising can help reduce stress and boost serotonin levels which are two big things I’ve been facing. As someone who is practically addicted to going to the gym every day, being stuck in a 10 x 12 room feels like I’m a caged animal pacing around. I know it seems ironic for me to say “be active” when there’s not much space to be active in but try to utilize the space you have as best as you can; I turned the empty room in my suite into an exercise room where I go and do any variety of workout videos that I find from Youtube. Chloe Ting, Madfit, and Blogilates are my go-to Youtubers for workouts.

Tool 3: Try To Get As Much Exposure To Outside As Possible

Keep your blinds up and your window open (as long as you don’t freeze yourself). Having fresh air, sunlight, and the hubbub of everyday Riverdale traffic flowing throughout the room helps to keep you from feeling less confined and shut out from the world. I keep my window open at all times because it keeps the room from feeling stuffy. Sitting by the window and watching the streets of Riverdale has proven to be very calming to me when I become antsy.

I’ll be honest, being in quarantine sucks but it’s not something that’s necessary if you’ve been exposed. When I find myself lacking motivation, I lean on my outside sources of strengths. One of the things that has made me happiest while in here was having a dance party via facetime with some of my friends. Quarantine definitely gives you perspective on all of the good things that life has to offer which often go unnoticed. So if you’re ever in quarantine just remember that you’re strong, you’ll get through it, and it won’t last forever!

Amanda is a junior business analytics major at Manhattan College. She is a member of Women in Business, Music Ministry, the O'Malley School of Business Honors Program, and Performing Hearts (Manhattan College's Female A capella Group). Amanda is also an intern for the Lasallian Women and Gender Resource Center.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!