This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Don’t have any plans for this upcoming summer? As someone who gets bored very easily, but also procrastinates work all the time, I understand how staying productive can be hard. The summer is a great time to try new things, yet you can easily feel unproductive coming out of your strict school day routine. Hopefully being home because of the COVID-19 pandemic has given you some time to find ways to be productive off campus, however, if you are still struggling or think you will when classes end, here’s a few suggestions to have a productive summer. 

One way to have a productive summer is to set goals. This can be in the form of a bucket list, daily to-do’s or any other that you think would work best for you. After setting your goals, write them out somewhere so they are always visible. This will help you keep them in mind and help you accomplish them. Having a written list of things you want to do each day, week, etc., will encourage you to find time to complete them. This is a great and simple way to stay productive not only in the summer, but all throughout the year!

Another way to stay productive during the summer months is to get a job or internship. Working is a great way to not only stay busy, but also add to your resume, get experience in your field and make some extra money. They are also a great way to meet new people and to network! There are always places hiring, especially for part-time in the summer. You could also volunteer at a local shelter, hospital, nursing home, school, etc. Not only will you be helping people in need, but you will also feel good after. Volunteering is a simple way to support your community and keep busy. 

Travelling is one of my favorite things to do in the summer. Whether it’s exploring a new hiking trail, going to the beach or visiting family, travelling is a great way to get out of your house and try new things. Travelling to a new place also means being able to do different activities that you may not have in your town or nearby. This summer travel somewhere and try something new or check something off your bucket list!

My final idea to stay productive this summer is to get ready for next semester. This can be anything from planning and shopping for your dorm room, buying new school supplies and getting adjusted to your new schedule. I love doing this in August to start getting excited and back in the groove for school. If you can, this is also a great thing to do while catching up with your friends and roommates. 

Even though the relaxing summer days can get boring sometimes, there are so many things you can do to stay productive. I hope you enjoyed this article and are considering adding some of these suggestions to your summer to-do list!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!