This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Toxic people are everywhere. They might be in your friend group, relationships, school, workplace, or even in your home. Though dealing with them can be exhausting, here are five steps on how to manage such difficult people.

Noticing Toxic Traits

It is important to become aware of someone’s toxic characteristics. This person’s traits can include gaslighting, victimizing oneself, being overly defensive, manipulative and always having to be in control. 

Choosing The Right Battles

Do not try to change or argue with a toxic person. Instead, offer them compassion. Remember people only change if they want to, you cannot force them. If you do, it will only leave you feeling drained and it might make the situation worse. If this person is getting to you, make sure to choose the right battles to avoid not getting overly frustrated and disappointed.

Trusting Your Triggers

Trust yourself and your instincts. Listen to your mind and body and notice how this toxic person affects you. Do not let them disregard or belittle your reactions to them because they will get used to treating you this way. Basically, be careful what you tolerate, that is how these people will act around you.

Setting Boundaries and Exit Strategies

If you keep giving, they will keep taking. Do not let anyone guilt-trip you into doing anything you do not want to do. It is always okay to say no and to walk away. If you are having trouble turning them down, slowly push them away and limit time with them as much you can.

Maintaining Distance and Moving On

Avoid experiences where you would see them. It is important to not forget what they have done to you or how they treated you. There is a difference between forgiving someone while they make the effort to change, and falling into a habit of getting hurt. After this, try to move on and if anything encourage them or yourself to get help or talk to a therapist if needed. 

I hope these tips help you surround yourself with the right people!

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)