How To Create a Twisted “French Braid” Crown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Okay! Let’s get to work. If you are familiar with how to do a French braid, then this should be relatively simple. If you are not, then I would suggest you get a friend to do this for you! Luckily, this is a two-strand braid. Enjoy ~

Hair can be any texture for this, and roughly any length. Layers might be hard, but that’s why hairspray was invented. If you want this to be a bit easier (if you’re a beginner), I recommend straightening your hair first. 

1. Step One

Part the hair any way that you feel fit. If you enjoy a middle part, go for it. If you want a part on the side, go for it. From there, put one side in a ponytail. 

2. Step Two

Grab a small section of the loose hair at the top of your head, like in the picture. If you want this to be a bigger or smaller piece, feel free. The world is your oyster. 

3. Step Three

Stick a finger down the middle of this the hair you just separated to create two distinct strands.

4. Step Four

Holding the two strands, take the left strand and twist it over the right. By twisting the hair over, you can create a very unique “rope” type look.  

5. Step Five

This is where it may get tricky if you are not familiar with French braids. So, you just twisted the left over the right. The right strand is on the bottom. Take a piece of hair from the head (for example, by her eye), and add it to the strand of hair on the bottom (or, the right strand).

6. Step Six

Now that you have added a piece of hair, twist it over.  Now, you have a new piece on the bottom but you still have two strands (they will gradually get larger).

7. Step Seven

Continue adding hair from the top of the head down. Be sure to twist each time, like in Step Five. 

8. Step Eight

It will start to resemble a thick rope. This is the desired look! But, there is still the other side to complete. Twist the whole entire “rope” clockwise and either clip it with a big, sturdy clip, or make sure you have a strong hair tie. Securing this gives your hands freedom to move to the other side, but make sure not to let go, it will come out, and that would be horrible. 

9. Step Nine

Once you finish the second side, stand back and admire your work. You killed it.  But, you’re not done yet! Clip or hold (carefully) the second braid and gently pull out the hair tie on the other side. 

10. Step Ten

Tie hair together at the bottom! If any hair sticks out, make sure you pin it in. You can put it in a low ponytail with a clear elastic band (for hold) and then pin it up in a bun, you could continue into a fishtail, or a normal braid.  I chose to put the hair into a low ponytail. 

Practice makes perfect!  Once you get good at simple braids, this gets easier. If you are completely unsure about how to approach this at all, check out this video: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbs-LN6P-E]. This girl has awesome hair tutorials. She approaches the hairstyle a bit differently than I do (and I think it’s more difficult her way), but it is the same principle.  Hope this was helpful! Now, go rock your crown!

Alex is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing and Psychology. She likes good movies, good music, great friends, and long walks on the beach. Enjoy ~~~