How COVID Stole My Sense of Community at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As a freshman in college, going out and meeting people is the usual way to make friends, but with COVID-19 this is hardly possible. In New York City, indoor dining was closed until Feb. 12 and it was up in the air of when Locke’s indoor dining would open.

It is human nature to come together for meals and people have been doing it for centuries. Sitting down and eating elbow to elbow bonds people over food and conversation. We, as students, are forbidden to do so with such COVID-19 rules. Once we get the motivation to go to the dining hall, we have to take our food to go and sit in our dorms. This limits who we meet and become friends with and it makes eating feel isolating.

“I’m terrified to do anything,” freshman Kathleen Connelly said. “Not even just getting sick, but also getting contact traced and pulled out of any social activities I have because I have to quarantine. Even in in-person classes, it is nice to have to get up and get dressed and motivated to go somewhere. However, when that is taken away from you because you were with someone who was with someone who tested positive that is scary.” 

Of course, we all miss life before the pandemic, however, college is supposed to be where you meet your new friends and even new significant others. But, without any sort of mixer or gathering that has been extremely difficult to be done safely.

“The Coronavirus makes me scared because I don’t want to put any of my friends at risk,” freshman Josephine Souza said. “But then the downside is I can’t make any more friends because there are no clubs that are very active. I’m sure there are things that are active, but I’m so scared to participate because I don’t want to get sick or get my friends sick.” 

Even as a member of the Manhattan women’s rowing team, I have had trouble with finding time and ways to bond and still be safe. This problem forces me to stay in my dorm and make the decision to not participate in activities that most college kids would because they are putting my team, myself, and the school at risk.

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!