This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When it comes to skincare, it can be difficult to find exactly what works for you. Everyone has different skin types and the first step in skincare is figuring out yours.

Types of Skin

Oily Skin

• With oily skin, the forehead, nose, and chin (T-zone) form the most oil. To find out if you have oily skin use an oil blotting sheet and see how much comes onto it.

Dry Skin

• Dry skin can be flaky and dehydrated. Usually, the weather makes this skin more sensitive. 

Combination Skin

• With combination skin, the face can have both oily skin around the T-Zone and also dry or normal skin in areas like the cheeks. 

Once you discover the type of skin you have, it is important to learn what is best to use on it, specific to your type. If you are using the wrong routine it might clash with your skin type creating your skin to break out or become irritated.

Stabilizing Your Skin 

• Oily skin can be washed with a generic face soap (ex. CeraVe or Cetaphil), followed by a toner (ex. Witch Hazel ) and then a light gel lotion (ex. Neutrogena).
  • Dry skin needs to be cleaned using a gentle exfoliant (ex. Cetaphil) clearing the flaky skin off and moisturizing with an extra hydrating lotion (ex. Clinique or  Sally Beauty). 
  • Combination Skin needs to be satisfied in two ways: stripping off the excess oil but also moisturizing to balance skin. Using a combination of both the oily and dry skin routine is recommended. If your skin is mostly oily in the T-zone use the light wash (refer to oily skin), but your skin is dry in your cheeks use a more moisturizing lotion (refer to dry skin).

Once you have a routine to follow its important to stay on top of it and clean your skin regularly to keep it healthy.

Routine in Action

• Oily skin needs to be washed most often. It is important to cleanse after workouts and before bed and in the morning to remove oil and reduce the possibility of acne.
  • Dry Skin does not need too much exfoliation, especially in the winter. This can be detrimental especially if the skin is very gentle or the skin has Rosacea. Exfoliating once a week is usually enough for healthy dry skin. (Everything You Need to Know About Exfoliating Your Skin Safely
  • Combination Skin can be washed once or twice a day, mainly before bed to wash the oil off from the day. 

As much as it’s important to remember to wash your face and moisturize, you should also drink at least eight glasses of water a day to maintain your skin’s healthy elasticity. (How Much Water Should You Drink Every Day to Be Healthy?).

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!