This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Halloween is without a doubt one of the most fun holidays a college student can experience. It is around that spooky time during the first semester when midterms have just about ended and you’re in need of letting loose. And on top of that, the costumes, the parties, the friends– what more can you ask for?

Unfortunately, Halloween is definitely going to look different this year. But just because we can’t have the same usual Halloween that we’re used to, doesn’t actually mean that Halloween is canceled. There’s plenty of ways for friends to still have Halloween this year, even if it isn’t the one they’re used to. Here are a few ideas:

Virtual Parties

Okay, so I know this one probably already sounds like it sucks, but hear me out. When I think of Halloween, I immediately think about costume contests and pumpkin carving contests. Get a bunch of your friends (even the ones at home) and create a Google Meet party! You can create polls for everyone to vote on who has the best costume. For a pumpkin carving contest you can do the same, but give everyone a specific amount of time to carve out their pumpkins. You can even designate judges! This is a fun way to spend a few hours with your friends, even if it’s virtually.

Spooky Movie Night

Celebrate with a movie night, and dress up if you want! This can be done indoors or outside if you have a projector. If you’re indoors, remember there are no more than 10 people allowed, but there are still ways we can include more! Streaming services like Netflix and DisneyPlus now have ways to watch movies virtually with friends, allowing you to watch together while apart. Make some yummy Halloween treats! Spend the night all cozy with your closest friends!

Safe Gatherings

If you’re in a situation where you can safely gather with some friends, don’t neglect the fact that we are unfortunately still in a pandemic. Remember the masks we’re supposed to wear? Now’s the perfect time to wear one (even though you should be doing that right now anyway)! Incorporate your mask into a costume! DIY your mask to look like a skeleton mouth or leave it as is and dress up as a ninja. You can even use this as an opportunity to dress up in that cute nurse costume you’ve been thinking about. There are so many costumes that work with masks, so don’t even think about making an excuse for why you can’t wear one. I promise, your costume is gonna look even cuter with a mask that helps prevent a deadly virus. Wash your hands, or better yet, wear gloves! It’s not hard to stay safe. Make sure you’re not sharing food or drinks and still maintain some distance.  

I know it’s extremely upsetting for a lot of people that Halloween will be different, but it’s better to be safe now so that we won’t be sorry later. Halloween will come around again and if we do what we can this year to make it as covid-safe as possible, next year we’ll be able to have just as much fun as we used to. Remember that COVID is bigger than just you and can impact other people worse than it would you. Stay safe to protect yourself and others. Happy Halloween Jaspers! Mask up!

Christina Rella

Manhattan '23

Christina Rella is an Integrated Marketing major at Manhattan College with a minor in Business! She’s lived in New York her whole life and loves to travel to the city. Christina is also a member of the Manhattan College Dance Team as a dancer and Social Media Coordinator!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!