How Astrology Helped Me Adjust to a New School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Starting at a new school is really hard, especially if you are in college and even more difficult if you are transferring in second semester. Everyone has their groups, all the orientation bonding events are over, and it can be hard to find a place to fit in. I got lucky transferring to Manhattan College because I had roommates I became very close with, RAs that introduced me to so many new people, and a job where I met really awesome people that make work fun!

Though I got lucky, I was also really nervous coming to a new school. I didn’t have the best social experience at my last school and it made me feel like I had failed. I had always been a very social person and could talk to anyone, but I found it really hard to make friends in that environment. Right before school started, I was getting really nervous fearing that I would have a similar experience socially at Manhattan. This is where the astrology came in. 

Ever since I was little, my mom would read or send me my horoscope every day. These would be for advice, a little positive energy in the morning, or just a light fun thing to share! Over the years I never believed that my zodiac sign knew my future or what was going on in my life. Frankly I thought it was total crap. My best friend was always into it so I would hear about how this or that was happening in her life because of the way the planets were arranged or something like that. I thought she was crazy so I would crack jokes all the time about it. This view totally changed about a week or two into second semester. 

I went home with my dad and we went to my Aunt’s house to say hi and one of my cousins was there. She was telling me about how she went to Chicago for the weekend to hang out with a friend and her friend was into all that psychic stuff. She had a box of tarot cards and she was having us all pick one out and read the description. My Dad and Aunt were making fun of her calling her a crazy hippie and her brothers joined in on the teasing too. She told me to a pick a card and I did while laughing with everyone else. The card I picked was “The Fool”. I was a little down about it until she told me that that card was a good one. We read the description from the box and it was talking about how I was experiencing a new environment and am embarking on a new adventure. I laughed it off as a coincidence and carried on with my day.

Later that night I was a bit curious about the card and googled it. I started to learn a lot more about the card and I was having fun looking into it. It made me more excited about my new school and the new experiences I was about to have. I then started to look at my horoscope. I’m a Taurus, and even downloaded a daily horoscope app! I was telling my roommates all about it when one of them said that the app I downloaded wasn’t the right one. She had me download another one that was not only based on my zodiac sign, but the place and time I was born. Over the past couple of weeks, I have checked my horoscope almost every day and really read what it has to say. Some of them were totally off, some of them were up for interpretation, and some coincidently were spot on. I since have showed all my friends and they probably say I don’t shut up about it, but I find it really fun to look into. I don’t believe that my zodiac sign knows exactly what I should do with my life and its predictions are very broad anyway, but sometimes I feel that it gives me good advice.

A lot of the time it tells me to put myself out there more and try to be more friendly. I have since been doing this and I would say it’s been working. I have been following the advice that I think is helpful and it has given me the push to be more sociable and take advantage of more opportunities. 

I see astrology as a fun topic that I can interpret to my life in any way I want and feel is beneficial to me. Even though it might be total crap, it’s comforting to have something to look to when I am conflicted or feeling a bit down on myself. It’s an escape and that small thought that maybe the universe has a plan for me and that everything will work out can get someone through some stressful situations. I still look at my horoscope almost every day and I try to take a small part of it as advice. I try to have fun with it and I think that it can be a fun way to destress and a place to look to when you are nervous or having a tough time. I recommend just checking it out! It can be hilariously wrong, scarily right, or just a fun thing to check up on from time to time!

I am freshman at Manhattan College majoring in Communications. I love iced coffee, New York sports, and am really into astrology. My hobbies include styling hair, listening to music, and watching tv! I am a native New Yorker and love the city!!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!