Here’s How to do Kim K’s Iconic Double Dutch Braids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I’m pretty sure most of us have seen pictures of Kim K in her legendary double Dutch braided pigtails. They’re amazing! I decided to do the same style with a twist. This style is much more relaxed and loose, which makes for better everyday wear. If you are familiar with Dutch braids, and know how to do them I believe this can be done on your own. If you have absolutely no idea how to do a Dutch braid, get a friend and watch this video. The rest is self-explanatory. Dutch braids are just a normal French braid flipped inside out. Enjoy.

1. Middle Part

I know this is usually a bad choice, but for this style, you will need the hair parted in the middle. I braided on damp hair, but honestly, anything works. 

2. Separate the Two Sides

Choose the side you would like to work with first, and put the other in a low pigtail. 

3. Split Side into Two Sections

Once you have made your low pigtail, take the loose side and part that down the middle. Push the hair to the pigtail side (clip it if you need to).

4. Separate First Section into Three strands to start the Braid

Self-explanatory.

5. Begin the Braid

Take the piece on the right and put it under the strand in the middle. This creates the reverse French braid. 

6. Continue with the Dutch Braid

Try to make it tight. 

7. Clip It

Once you have finished a section, clip the end. Be careful not to let go, or the braid will unravel. 

8. Braid the Second Section

Repeat steps 4-7 on the second section of hair (the picture shows this well). 

9. Braid Together

Take the first section out of the clip (being very careful to hold onto it), and braid it into the second section at the base of the neck. 

10. Repeat Steps 1-9 on the Other Side

11. Pull the Braid Apart a Bit at the End

Once the two braids have been connected at the base of the neck, secure with a clear elastic band. Gently tug at the braids to create a more loose, relaxed feel. 

12. Look Like a Cooler Kim K

On fleek.

Alex is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing and Psychology. She likes good movies, good music, great friends, and long walks on the beach. Enjoy ~~~