Halloween Costumes That Will Actually Benefit Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Every October, it seems that every party store is filled with revealing nurse/witch/police officer costumes. Basically any costume. Put down the bunny ears because below I present you chic costumes that will actually benefit your wardrobe. Instead of paying cold-hard cash for a cheap costume that you will only wear once, actually invest in your wardrobe with pieces that can go beyond costume party season.

Cruella De Vil

Though Cruella De Vil does not have good intentions, she does rock a killer outfit 24/7. Invest in a white faux fur coat, piece it together with a long black silk dress, red D’Orsay pumps and matching red moto gloves. For the hair, purchase a temporary hair coloring spray that you can get from a local Party City. The last thing that will complete the entire ensemble are emerald studs.

Romy and Michele

If you have not seen Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, I highly encourage it! It is a chick flick classic. Hopefully some of you have and so for this outfit as all you need is a tulle bustier dress with short pink block heels. Layer a couple of necklaces with the ensemble and add a pair of black tights. Finish with a similar matching outfit for your best friend and swipe on a red matte lipstick and you are good to go!

Frida Kahlo

62 years after Frida Kahlo’s death, the Mexican artist continues to be an icon for unconventional beauty. To capture Frida Kahlo’s style, wear a flower bouquet dress with a flower headband. If necessary, buy fake flowers from your local dollar store and superglue to your headband. Layer the dress with a black shawl and layer multiple pearl-like necklaces with bright tassel earrings. Lastly, purchase eyebrow makeup to recreate Frida Kahlo’s famous brows.

Audrey Hepburn

Oh, the classic little black dress that has become a key piece in every girl’s wardrobe since Audrey Hepburn stood in front of Tiffany’s as Holly Golightly. For this outfit, all that is needed is a black dress with black gloves and black kitten heels. Accessorize with cat eye sunglasses, a tiara, a pearl necklace with a diamond embellishment and lastly: a long cigarette holder.

Hugh Hefner

Hugh Hefner is the perfect choice to keep warm and comfortable on Halloween. Invest in nice scarlet silk pajamas and a wrap kimono to layer on top. Lastly, all you need is a pair of slipper loafers. Not only can you wear this to bed after Halloween is done, but with the new pajama trend that is both on and off the runway, you will be killing it in the streets and in your sleep.

Carrie Bradshaw

Even if you have never seen an episode of Sex and the City, you would likely recognize the Carrie Bradshaw’s opening scene with her famous tutu skirt. For this outfit, all you need is an off-white tutu skirt with a baby pink tank top. Add in nude pumps and the classic Carrie gold nameplate necklace to complete the ensemble.