Habits to Take From Mom and Dad to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Adulting is hard but your mom and dad probably taught you a few things on the way that you should take with you to college to make it that little bit easier.

Dress Your Bed!

It seems like such a chore but honestly, it takes five minutes of your morning and shapes the entire room when you have a neatly dressed bed. Your roommate will appreciate it too since it’s a small shared space that can look cluttered really quickly. 

Pick Out Your Outfit the Night Before

It is one last thing to worry about in the morning and means maybe an extra 5 minutes of sleep. 

Have Your Backpack Packed the Night Before

Just like your outfit, just a few moments getting yourself ready before bed can give you those few extra “sleep-in” moments in the morning. 

Always Carry an Umbrella

I mean it slips into the side of your backpack easily and you won’t be complaining about carrying the extra load when its raining. 

Clean Sheets! 

I’ve heard the horror stories of college students moving in when their parents set up their clean sheets and that’s that until move out day. It is essential to change those sheets every two weeks! 

Fold your clothes instantly out of the dryer

Just set the timer and go fold those clothes right away. If you spent the last hour doing laundry, you might as well. Otherwise, they will get wrinkled sitting in the dryer or even worse, the next person is going to throw them all into a pile on top. 

Carry a granola/protein bar

Running around campus can get in the way of mealtime, especially if you’re someone who skips breakfast. Having a protein bar on hand is just an easy solution to these hectic days.

Always have a Shark Week bag!

Usually, all girls carry these but it is essential to carry a small bag with tampons and pads because you never know when that week will hit. Even if you’re not on your period, you can end up being someone’s best friend with a little rescue. 

Emergency Advil

Advil is the heal all when it comes to headaches, cramps and so forth, so it is easier to just carry a small bottle on you than go through a day in pain!

Ciara Coyle

Manhattan '22

Ciara is a ChemE with a Concentration in Cosmetics in Manhattan College's Class of 2022. She's a millennial pink enthusiast who loves everything shopping and photography!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!