flat lay of makeup
flat lay of makeup
Emily Nelissen
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

With their popping Instagram feed full of posed images of their products and customer submitted photos, is Glossier really who they say they are? 

Glossier was founded in 2014 by Emily Weiss, who originally founded “Into the Gloss” to go against the normal standards of the beauty paradigm. The company was founded based on customer feedback and ideas, and still today, all Glossier products, both old and new, were created because of customer recommendations. 

Nowadays, Glossier sells it all. All makeup products you want, they’ve got. Eyeliner (both colored and classic black), mascara, eyeshadow, blush, highlighter, brow gel, and more. What is really cool about Glossier products, though, is that they are all a bit more inventive than your classic drug store brands. For example, their blush, which they call “cloud paint,” comes in a tube and applying it is literally like painting a little pink cloud on your cheek, hence the name. Their highlighter, called “haloscope” is a roll-on highlighter, which you then just blend around the edges to give your face a bit more glow. 

Glossier does not stop at makeup, though. Their skin care line has everything you could possibly need. Makeup removing face wash, moisturizers, lip balm in multiple tints and flavors, and even an under eye and lip plumping cream. They are probably best known for their face wash called “solution,” which has absolutely zero exfoliants in it, yet is fantastic at removing dead skin and getting down to business deep in your pores.

Glossier is a bit pricey, I’ll admit. But, their products are definitely worth it. Here are my top six recommendations:

1. Lash Slick Mascara

This stuff really makes your lashes POP. It goes on thin and natural looking so it doesn’t weigh down your lashes, which in fact helps them appear longer and fuller than they actually are! You won’t even need to curl them with lash slick on! Available in black only.

1. Boy Brow Brow Gel

Boy Brow really has a way of making your brows look natural, yet full. It comes in a small tube with a short wand, and there are less bristles on the wand, so your flicks are a little more intentional than if you were using a long bristle wand. It comes in four shades– clear, blonde, brown, and black– and you can achieve different shades of the color you buy by applying more or less. Absolutely genius!

1. Cloud Paint 

Cloud paint brings blush to a whole new level. It is easy to apply (you literally dab a small bit on your fingers, then pat it on to your cheeks), and the tiny little tube it comes in will last you forever. Plus it comes in six different shades (too many to even list), so no matter what your mood or outfit is, they’ve got a shade that is right for you! Even if this is the only makeup you put on that day, it will make your face look just a tiny bit more lifted, and will add some color to your dreariest of days!

1. Haloscope​

Like I said earlier, this highlight is the easiest highlight you’ll ever use. It comes in three shades– topaz, quartz, and moonstone– which offers an option for every skin tone and makeup motive. This will really make you pop– especially in pictures with a low flash!

1. Balm Dot Com Lip Balm

This stuff WORKS! The tint is perfect, the flavors are sweet, and they can heal even the driest, most cracked lips! It is a bit expensive, but it will last you all winter. It is so worth the cost! This one comes in eight different flavors and colors, giving you different options for both lip color and for your taste buds!

1. Lip Gloss

This lip gloss is literally the best lip gloss I have ever used. It adds just the right amount of plumpness, and especially when applied after a tinted Balm Dot Calm, it has a nice color and glow! It comes in three shades– clear, holographic, and red– so it will match any outfit you pair it with. 

So, yeah, I guess you could say I would give Glossier a 10/10. Everything listed above is available on their website (glossier.com), which offers free shipping on orders over $30! Or, if you’re ever in Soho, I recommend you check out their showroom! They’ve got samples galore, plus so many photo ops! 

I highly recommend you give Glossier products a try, and always remember to review them or give them feedback! They are a feedback run company so they love to hear new ideas!

Katie Doyle

Manhattan '21

Katie Doyle is a junior at Manhattan College majoring in English with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She is passionate about women's issues, writing and reading, and is involved in many other clubs on campus, including the climbing club, Sigma Delta Tau, Love Your Melon, and MC Players!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!