courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Getting Back into the Swing of Things: A Few Useful Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

You were itching to finish finals and pack up to go back home. Now you can’t wait to move back in and have your independence. You’re missing your friends and roommates. You may even be missing your favorite sandwich from the nearby delis. Maybe you just miss being in the Bronx. This is a fresh start mentally, physically, and academically. However, restarting can be difficult especially after having two months off. Here are a few tips to get back into the swing of things!

The first week of school can be a tease. In most classes you are just reviewing the syllabus and going over policies. I personally think of this as a transition period from summer into school. I like to take this week to get my notebooks/folders/binders set up, print a color coded schedule and write down preliminary test dates into my planner. I also like to make sure I’ve ordered all the textbooks needed for each of my classes. I find this helpful because your work load tends to be lighter on the first few days of school. It’s helpful to prepare your backpack each night, too. Be sure to have all of your school books, pencils and pens, gum, headphones, schedule, lip balm, and water! I find it easier to label each of my notebooks/folders, so when I am running from class to class it is easy to find what I need. It is so important to take twenty minutes a day to prepare this will allow you to adjust to being back at school and create a routine without feeling too overwhelmed.

In the beginning of the semester some students tend to make goals that are not realistic because they want to improve from last semester. However, you’re probably not going to do too much work in the first week as all of your friends are going to want to catch up with you. I also recommend trying to get back into a nightly routine about a week before school starts. This will make the first day jitters easier to deal with as you will have had a good night’s sleep. By following these tips, you will be prepared for the semester and ease back into your work ethics while still having fun! Have a great semester!

Micaela Beatty

Manhattan '21

Micaela is currently a Senior at Manhattan College, majoring in kinesiology. She enjoys living in New York City and spending time with friends and family.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!