This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The first thing instilled upon prospective Manhattan College students is the school’s proximity to the heart of New York City. Hop on the one train, travel only 40 minutes and you can be immersed in the bright lights of Times Square. For me, and I’m sure many others reading this, the college’s location was a major selling point, and ultimately what led me to enroll. 

Unfortunately, the majority of students who came here for the full New York experience fail to actually get on the train for lack of ideas or lack of funds to have a NYC day out. Luckily, I’ve got your back. Here’s just a few ideas from me and my friends on what to do under any budget. 

When you’re on a budget: ($0-$20)

Photo Shoot in Central Park (Free!)

Cheesey? Yes. Will your future self looking through photo albums thank you for spending time being cheesy and cute with your friends? Yes. Central Park is free to walk around and would be perfect for a fun, inexpensive day out with friends. I’ve personally spent a day in Central Parks with a small added expense of taking a boat ride. A row boat holds 4 people and is only $15 an hour, and $4 for each additional 15 minutes. However, from my experience as lead rower, an hour is more than enough. 

Chelsea Market (Also Free!)

Chelsea Market is another great photo op but also has some of the most interesting handmade shops I’ve ever seen. Everything from piercings to handbags to kitchen decor are sold within one section of organized chaos. With Chelsea Market’s options for an affordable lunch, it’s proximity to the Whitney museum, and the amusement of Chelsea itself, you can spend an entire day exploring and getting lost here. 

Museum of Illusions ($18 with Student ID)

I visited the Museum of Illusions with a few friends a few weeks ago and found yet another great photo op. The museum, located on 77 8th Ave, allows you to be a part of the illusion. Whether that means playing poker with 6 of your own doppelgangers, or having the size of two objects be manipulated by vertical lines. 

ARTECHOUSE ($15)

Have you ever found a holographic art museum at 4 am on Tik Tok and woken your roommate up to get ready and go to it? Kevin Lynn’s roommate did! This week he went to ARTECHOUSE, located at 439 W 15th Street, in Chelsea Market, and described it as “an immersive art exhibition where the art is projected on you and the walls.” The show lasts about 30 minutes but you are free to walk around and stay as long as you want. 

When your Mom is Paying:

The Office! A Musical Parody (Tickets start at $59)

This off-Broadway musical parody of the hit TV show, The Office, is so incredibly corny that it actually works. We got these tickets for my sister’s 16th Birthday in November and I was thoroughly entertained by the chaotic energy showcased on stage. Michael Scott, played by Sarah Mackenzie Baron, uses intense physical comedy and song to embody Steve Carrell’s original character. Fair warning, only people who have seen the entirety of the series nine times (like my sister and I) will be able to keep up with the storyline. 

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Prices Range from $40-$200)

The BEST Broadway show I’ve ever seen. Harry Potter fanatics can enjoy a two night story of Albus Potter, middle child of Harry Potter, as he is placed into Slytherin, travels back in time and encounters a slew of characters ranging from Draco Malfoy’s son to Moaning Myrtle to dementors. I won’t give away too much, but with incredible stage qualities and an intricate storyline, the show keeps you on the edge of your seat and is just the reunion Harry Potter fans needed. 

Manhattan College also frequently has student deals on Broadway shows, Yankee games and more. So keep an eye out and let me know if you see anything interesting!

Caroline (Cari) McCarthy is a junior communication major with a concentration in journalism at Manhattan College, and hopes to earn a second major in Peace and Justice Studies. Cari aspires to travel the world while reporting on social change-makers. She holds leadership positions in a variety of media publications including serving as the Assistant Featured Editor of the Manhattan College Quadrangle, Executive Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Creative Director of her school's Her Campus Chapter!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!