This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Finding your first internship can be tricky, but there are ways to maneuver into a fruitful position that will benefit your resume down the road. Here are some tips to find your first internship!

Update your LinkedIn and resume 

Familiarize yourself with ideas in terms of networking –  how is it that you can find connections to leverage this in finding a job? Add a blurb on your LinkedIn describing yourself, and be specific about your skills, experience as well as what you’re looking for in a job. Familiarize yourself with how you approach networking. Look at ways that you can work with your current social media to think about internships. Your resume should be written for an audience that is going to hire you. How is it that you can convince/persuade a hiring manager? Update your skills, even if they seem minor; a resume is supposed to give you an interview, not a job. For paper resumes, you must use key phrases and words because they are based on the sector you want to work in. Be mindful of how you describe the activities you’ve done! From there you are ready to do a job search. Look at jobs recommended for you on Linkedin; don’t forget to make cover letters.

Do’s & Don’ts 

-don’t lie – frame what you already have in your resume in its best light

-proofread 

-resume – no more than a page – 10/11 pt font 

-tailor your resume for each position

-showcase specific things within each niche you wish to work in 

-templates – revising slightly based on keywords you are getting from the job description 

-use action words/ active voice 

More Specifics

•  Maintain consistency across places where people will find you 
  • Your websitesIf you have a website/ online portfolio, link it and upload specific documents concerning your work. 
  • Add a professional picture- building consistency in your visual representation across your profiles.
Colette Barron

Manhattan '23

Hi! I’m Colette and I’m from Long Island NY. I’m a Junior and I’m a communication major with a concentration in public relations with a minor in psychology. I’m interested in fitness, health & wellness, beauty as well as fashion and thrifting! I’m excited to be part of HerCampus at MC! :)