Fall’s Top 7 Must Have Fashion Pieces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

1.  The Statement Coat

A statement coat is essential. It’s one of those garments that stays and evolves with you through your triumphs and losses in your personal life. However, who said anything about it being boring? Don’t let a great outfit go unnoticed with a less- than- killer coat. This year designers have been inspired from Pantone’s Fall 2016 colors, giving fall coats fun new colors like a vibrant blue, bold red, or a rose-toned pink.

Leandra Medine (left) and friend, Amelia (right) | Coat (left): Osman Coat

2.  Loafers and Slip-Ons  

For this season, there is a street-style miracle that won’t leave you wobbling on heels. Loafers and slip-on shoes have taken over the runway and the streets. This year’s standout style has been updated with bold colors, jewels, designs and even fur. There are so many options, it’s up to you on whether your style is outgoing and loud or demure. Style loafers or slip-ons with cropped denim. When it comes to bold flats, make sure you are not trying too hard. Keep the outfit simple and effortless.  

Gucci Princetown fur-lined leather backless loafers

3.  Cropped Denim

This season, ditch the skinny jeans and opt for something a little different- cropped denim. Cropped denim are not capri-length but more of a crop where the hem hits just above the ankle. This look not only makes you look taller but displaying a little ankle gives the ensemble a more delicate feeling. Within the cropped denim family is the frayed hem which are jeans that feature a frayed hem. The frayed hem is cropped for the purpose of the fray to have a subtler, more clean look.

Relaxed Low Fit Rise Jeans, Zara 

4.  Cashmere Sweater

Oh, the lovely cashmere sweater. It’s a piece that never goes out of style and that’s why it’s an investment. It work’s just as hard as our chunky knits but with half the bulk, it’s a trusty addition to your totes for those air-conditioned rooms at the office or classroom, and the perfect confidante to our feminine skirts to dress down. Style with a pleated midi or a fitted pencil skirt for work or a pair of cropped denim jeans with white sneakers to give it the ultimate cool girl factor.

Photo: Stockholm Street Style | Sweater: Unknown      

5.  Velvet

A new trend that has been sweeping the fashion walkways and into our hearts is velvet. Velvet everything. ­Velvet boots, dresses, blouses and chokers. Designers cannot get enough of this fabric, this season and neither can we. This fabric will do wonders for when the chill sets in this fall.

Alberta Ferretti at Milan Fashion Week 2016

6.  The Straight-Leg Jean

If you are interested investing in some new denim this fall, besides the cropped denim, make sure to purchase this killer street style piece, straight-leg jeans. They’re much as a staple as your old skinny jeans but would make any outfit look more elevated.

Photo: PureWow Feature 

7.  Sock Boots

Another trend that has kicked off the season are sock boots. With fall and winter coming, these shoes are perfect for that cold weather! The fitted, extra silhouette will keep your bare ankles toasty warm when wearing shorter pants. Especially, with that new purchase of cropped denim or straight-leg jeans!

Dior Fall/ Winter 2015