This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By, Casey Schellberg

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, now is the time to start planning friendsgiving with your roommates, friend groups and teammates. The weather is cooling down, leaves are finally falling and it’s the perfect time to start warming up your apartment with some homemade meals. If you’re looking for the perfect, easy fall recipe to cook up this upcoming week, I have you covered! Here are 4 easy fall recipes that you can make in your apartment, or maybe even dorm, this season:

Caramel Apples

This recipe makes about 8-10 caramel apples. You can alter the number of ingredients based on the number of caramel apples you desire to make. You’ll need the following ingredients:

• Apples
  • Skewers for apples
  • 22 oz caramels, unwrapped*, from two 11 oz bags
  • 4 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream
  • Pinch of salt
  • Any optional toppings for the outside of the apple (M&Ms, pretzels, sprinkles, etc.)

You’ll want to first wash the apples to remove any wax coating and insert a skewer into each one in replace of the stem. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper to place the apples on after dipping and prepare the ingredients for use. Third, place the caramel, salt and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals until melted. Fourth, dip the apple in the caramel mixture, making sure to roll the apple to cover all sides. Immediately after, roll the apple in your desired topping. Let the apples harden in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before enjoying them!

Apple Crisp

Engulf your kitchen with the smell of a classic fall dessert with this easy apple crisp recipe. You’ll need the following ingredients to make it:

• 4 large Granny Smith apples
  • ½ cup butter, melted
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon allspice

The first, and hardest step, of this recipe is to peel, core and slice the apples, spreading them evenly on the bottom of a medium-sized baking dish. Second, take the rest of the ingredients and mix them in a medium-sized bowl to create the topping. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple and bake the dish in the microwave for 10-12 minutes.

Butternut Squash Risotto

A warm and delicious dinner for your roommates and you, this butternut squash risotto is easy and quick to make. You’ll need the following ingredients to make this dish:

• 250g of risotto rice
  • 700ml of hot vegetable stock
  • 1 medium butternut squash
  • A big handful of grated parmesan, plus extra
  • handful of sage leaves, roughly chopped

First, add the risotto and vegetable stock into a large bowl. Cover it with cling wrap and microwave it for 5 minutes. While that is cooking, peel and chop the squash into medium-sized chunks. Add the squash to the rice and vegetable stock mix and put it back into the microwave for another 15 minutes, making sure to stir the mixture halfway through. Let the risotto cool for a couple of minutes before adding in the parmesan and sage leaves and enjoying!

Apple and Pecan Arugula Salad

Here’s an easy salad recipe for those super busy, no-time-to-eat days when you still want it to feel like Fall. You’ll need the following ingredients to make it:

• 5 oz. package baby arugula
  • 2 small apples, thinly sliced
  • ½ cup candied pecans
  • ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

First, add the arugula, apples, pecans and feta into a large bowl with enough space for tossing. In a smaller bowl, add the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Stir all together to create the dressing. Pour the dressing on top of the salad if eating/serving immediately. 

These 4 easy and simple recipes are perfect for your next fall get-together, friendsgiving or even meal prep (and they’re all college friendly!)

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!