alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

College can be difficult financially and wanting a cute dorm room doesn’t help the situation. Here are a few ways I like to decorate my dorm room without breaking the bank:

Start preparing during the summer: Many stores have big sales during the summertime which is why I like to start dorm room shopping early! This also gives me time to decide what I actually need and what I want in my room. Stores will drive prices up when school is about to start because they know there are always students that wait for the last minute. This semester I was able to save money on a new bed set because I bought it in June. I was looking around for a while because I want a new color scheme in my room. I was able to narrow it down in early June and by the end of the month I found the one I liked best for a decent price!

Price match: It’s very easy to buy something the first time you see it because it’s convenient. If you start preparing early this allows you time to look at other stores to see if you can find items cheaper. I like to compare products I find to Amazon, Target, Tj Maxx, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart, and Marshalls to ensure I’m getting the best price!

Plan: To make sure you are not buying excess of anything, planning can be super helpful! I like to make a list with all of the things I used last semester and what I felt I was lacking. Once I buy it I will check it off the list until I am completely done! It is also important to communicate with your roommate, if you have one, to make sure you are not buying doubles. It’s helpful if you split the cost of a fridge, microwave, lights, rug, and other bigger items that you both will be using during the year.

Re-use: You will need a lot of the same materials from the year before so I like to reuse what I can. However, this year I want to change my color scheme so I am going to paint a few items so it will match the rest of my belongings. This saves money and yourself from the trouble of having to look for new items!

I hope these tips are helpful as you set up and settle into your new dorm room!

Micaela Beatty

Manhattan '21

Micaela is currently a Senior at Manhattan College, majoring in kinesiology. She enjoys living in New York City and spending time with friends and family.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!