Christmas Jams for Christmas Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The end of finals officially means that this semester has concluded. No more extensive readings, essays or annotations. For the next five weeks, you can major in eating with a minor in sleeping, also known as ways to avoid talking about the past semester with your relatives (“Sorry, I can’t answer you, I have POTATOES IN MY MOUTH.”) Regardless, this month is all about getting ready for the holidays. You’ve certainly earned the right to enjoy them for what they are: happiness and celebration with the ones you love, whether that be family and/or friends.

In short, here is soundtrack for your holiday season. If you’re going to tell me you don’t want a playlist for Christmas, you’re going to find a load of coal at your feet Christmas day.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, off of her album, Merry Christmas.

Everyone and their mother has pretended to have been blessed with the same studio vocal talents that Mariah Carey has. A Christmas classic. You’ll probably still be hearing this one even when Christmas is long over. But enjoy it during the time it was designated for. It’s only proper.

What do you mean you’ve never sung along with this song? More coal for you.

“And Anyway It’s Christmas” by !!! (pronounced: Chk, Chk, Chk), off of their single, And Anyway It’s Christmas.

A less traditional Christmas song, but I mean, we can’t listen to the same couple of Christmas songs every year. That’s boring. The message is the same. The background synth captures the feeling of riding a sleigh through falling snow while the tambourine is a contemporary jingle bell. If you haven’t locked yourself into a food coma, get up and dance. This song is perfect for that.

“Christmas, Baby Please Come Home” by Anberlin, off of their album, Lost Songs.

In addition to not listening to the same songs ad infinitum, it’s important to let other bands cover Christmas songs. Anberlin brings a rock version of this classic Christmas tune by bringing almost the same vigor as Darlene Love did.

“Last Christmas” by Wham!, a B-side off of their single, Everything She Wants.

Bittersweet in all aspects of the word. This song is one that you have certainly heard since you were young. There’s no real Christmas without it.

“Holly Jolly Christmas” by Michael Bublé, off of his record, Christmas.

Let’s leave the somber and sad Christmas tunes behind and return to a cheery Christmas mood, shall we? Michael Bublé’s voice is perfect for the holiday season; there’s just no getting around it.

“I don’t know if there’ll be snow…” Oh, well, I really hope not.

“Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano, off of his album, Feliz Navidad.

Probably the best Christmas song ever written. Simple in its message, it’s taught thousands, maybe millions, of people how to wish each other a “Merry Christmas” in Spanish.

If you are out and about this holiday season and this song comes on, be prepared. Everyone in a five mile radius from you has suddenly become fluent in Spanish.

“I Don’t Intend On Spending Christmas Without You” by Younghusband.

A contemporary Christmas tune. Younghusband cover of Margo Guryan’s song hits it out of the park.

“Don’t Shoot Me Santa” by The Killers, off of their single, Don’t Shoot Me Santa.

I recognize the title of this song is not in the spirit of Christmas. Santa is not an evil, gun-wielding man; I get it. But, it’s a fun song nonetheless. It seems that coal is the least of The Killers’s problems.

That being said, could Santa bring me Brandon Flowers for Christmas? That’d be great.

“Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” by Frank Sinatra, off his record, Christmas Songs by Sinatra.

What if you don’t hear “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” this year? Is it really Christmas? Frank Sinatra, a golden oldie, is sure to bring you into the holiday spirit. Let this song be your holiday playlist staple.

“Do They Know It’s Christmas Time?” by Band Aid, off of the single, Do They Know It’s Christmas Time?

This song brought together some of the biggest names in music back in 1984. Written for the famine that occurred in Ethiopia in the 80s, the message is a powerful. This is a song that you always play at least once in your holiday season, present and future.

This year, not everyone will be able to celebrate as you do. Keep that in mind; be generous, be kind, be humble. This is the season of giving, but remember to give to those less fortunate than you. It is Christmas time, after all.

On that note, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I’ll see you in 2015.

I am currently a senior at Manhattan College double majoring in English and Communication with a concentration in advertising. When I'm not writing about music, I'm usually eating soup dumplings or petting dogs - ideally at the same time. I'm proudly American with a half-Chinese and half-Italian heritage. You can follow me on Twitter at @ChuChuTrain. I'm funny sometimes.