This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

At a time in our country’s history when the presidential election was so vital to its future in so many aspects of society, thousands of Americans and people from all around the world are taking to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter today to express their opinions and to offer hope. Whether you are a supporter of Trump or a supporter of Hillary, there is a general consensus that we need to stand together- as a united nation- in order to make it through this transition to a new president. Here are a few posts that offer a beam of light on this gloomy day regarding the future of the United States:

“I still believe in us. I do. I think if anything this should motivate us. This should wake us up… let’s come together now. Have conversations with people who believe in different things than you do. And instead of needing to be right, try to hear them. Then ask for the same respect in return. Build bridges, not walls. Let’s sew the broken pieces of ourselves back together again, and remake the fabric of America. We can.” –Sophia Bush

“We need to keep together, to keep open hearted, open minded and prioritize compassion both for each other and our planet over hate, discrimination and fear.” –Jack Harries

“Let us use this anger as fuel for change, and not flee or fill the Internet with more hate…Keep moving forward.” –Tessa Neustadt

“It seems pointless and hopeless right now but we are capable of using our intelligence and reasoning, our passion and organization to recover from the brink… Getting involved instead of ambivalence and disillusion has never been more important. The challenge we face is massive. But instead of googling how to emigrate. Google how to get involved. The change comes from action.” –Daniel Sharman

“You’re allowed to mourn; to feel hurt, afraid, confused. You’re also allowed to feel inspired to get involved and work toward a better future.” –Tyler Oakley

“Let us have faith in each other. Let us not grow weary. Let us not lose heart. For there are more reasons to come and more work to do.” –Hillary Clinton

“We shouldn’t give up hope, we should keep pushing forward… But let’s not lose hope just yet, stay inspired, stay informed, and speak out for what you’d like to see because when we get there, it will most definitely be worth it.” –Emma Bates

“America we’re 240 years young. But it’s time to grow up… Maybe we have to find strength from within and take responsibility for ourselves. Set our own examples. The country is clearly divided. But it’s time to heal. There’s strength in numbers… I hope we can come together as one.” –Bryan Greenberg

“It’s your election next time.” –Arden Rose

“It’s a sad state of affairs but the one thing you can take from it is that map they’ve shown of how the young people voted. Grin and bear with this guy.” –Niall Horan

Onward and forward, we’re alive and that’s a beatiful gift not meant to be wasted on hatred and defeat.” -Daniel Fernandez