Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Career > Her20s

Burn Out: It’s Great to Have a Jam-packed Resume, But at What Cost?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This semester in particular, I have been feeling more burnt out than ever before. Whether it be an increased number of things on my plate, or taking classes fully in person again, I am feeling very overwhelmed. The things I was looking forward to now fill up my calendar but do not fill me with joy. I feared I was alone in this, but this sentiment seems to be echoed in my inner circle; my friends and I discuss often that we are no longer enjoying the things we were once so passionate about. It’s great to have a jampacked resume but at what cost? Is burnout just a common phenomenon in college or a sign to slow down?

There is more to college than the resume you leave with. The lessons we learn and the person we become can not be fit on a single page even if it’s packed tightly with size 10 font. Our sole purpose should not be to just rack up titles that will make us appear to be great candidates for a job. We should actually become that great candidate by fostering our passions, finding our drive and motivation, and learning who we are. Involvement in 12 clubs and holding six executive positions is not the answer to finding a job; you are. Becoming the person you want to be does not have to mean drowning yourself.

It can be hard to let go of the preconceived notions that you need to be spread so thin to be successful. I’ve struggled with feeling obligated to continue with programs I no longer enjoy, forgetting why they once interested me, and no longer feeling a passion for them. Our time as college students is valuable. We only get four years here, it’s essential to spend this time not just solely stressing about what comes next, but taking a moment to slow down, breathe, and just live. 

Now, have I actually been able to completely cut down and no longer feel an obligation to remain overly involved? Not at all, but it is a good reminder that we are not in this alone. Others around us are feeling overwhelmed too and it’s okay to ask for help. It’s okay to say no to doing more and it’s okay to remove something from your plate. I have made a point to find time for what excites me and made finding stress-free moments a priority each day. While burnout seems to be plaguing us all, it doesn’t have to be; make value of your time and focus on what is most important: you.

Skylar Rossi

Manhattan '23

I am a sophomore at Manhattan College pursuing a double major in political science and communications with a business minor.