Broadway Is Back… Here’s What I Can’t Wait to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By: Mackenzie Boyce

After closing over a year ago, Broadway performers are finally returning to the stage in front live audiences. Theater fans across the country, including myself, have been waiting months for this to happen.

Here at Manhattan College, Student Engagement jumped at the opportunity and hosted a trip to see “Wicked” on Monday, Sept. 26. Attending this performance reminded me of how special Broadway shows are, and on my way back to campus I couldn’t help but note all the other performances at theaters I passed by.

Here are all the shows I will definitely be spending all my money on this fall!

Lion King

This award-winning musical is the third longest-running Broadway show, and tickets are available now! This tells the story we all know and love, of Simba the lion, as he tries to avenge his father’s death and defeat his evil uncle. The costumes and set for this show are iconic. I would love to experience the infamous musical number “The Circle of Life” performed live!

Chicago

This six-time Tony award winner, and personal favorite musical of mine, is a story of murder, money, music, and All That Jazz. The dynamic duo of Roxie and Velma is returning with a brand new cast, and I can’t wait to see their take on the sensual 1920s tale. The famous Fosse style is always captivating, and the dancing in this production makes it a must-see for everyone who is following its revival.

Diana

One of Broadway’s most anticipated opening nights is the story of Princess Diana, as she faces struggles with her newfound fame while entering a life of royalty. “Diana” never had its intended opening night due to the pandemic, and will finally premiere for a live audience on November 2. Not only is this story of such an inspirational women’s life resuming at the Longacre Theatre, but you can also check it out on Netflix beginning October 1st.

Six

This pop-oriented show focuses on girl power follows the six wives of Henry VIII. The British musical came to Broadway in February 2020, but had a short-lived run once Covid-19 swept through the country. The small female cast and unique costuming bring something new to the table, and the audience agrees that this modern twist on an old tale will make you “lose your head!”

While these musicals stick out in my mind, some other returning shows that are still highly anticipated, and have tickets currently available for purchase, include “Hamilton”, “Come From Away”, “Waitress”, “Wicked”, “Hadestown”, and “Aladdin”.

October brings the comeback of “Ain’t Too Proud” (Oct. 16), “Jagged Little Pill” (Oct. 21), “Mrs. Doubtfire” (Oct. 21), and “Phantom of the Opera” (Oct. 22). Towards the end of the year, the reimagined version of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” returns on November 12, as well as “The Book of Mormon” on November 5.

As the new year approaches, we welcome back our favorite performances and invite new ones to the stage. I think we can all agree that the future for Broadway looks as bright as its stage lights.

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.