This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Samantha Keating

Britney Spears and Sam Asghari are engaged!

The beloved singer announced her engagement with the personal trainer on Sunday after four years of dating. Spears and Asghari first met in October of 2016 on the set of her “Slumber Party” music video. The two bonded over a mutual love of sushi and by the end of the shoot had exchanged phone numbers to set up a proper first date. The pair have been together ever since and Asghari has supported Spears through all the struggles the past few years have brought upon her. 

Asghari stayed with Spears for all of her Piece of Me show in Las Vegas and as a support system while she did a month-long stay at a mental health facility in the spring of 2019. The pair frequently express their love for one another on social media and are open about how much they support each other in all they do. Both Asghari and Spears took to Instagram to share the custom made ring and express just how excited they are to be with each other forever.

News of the engagement may not be such a surprise for some fans as this past May, in a conservatorship hearing, she testified how she wanted to marry and have children with Asghari and it was reported that he felt similar. Following Britney’s separation from her Dad as her conversator in July, it became clear it was only a matter of time before the two would become engaged. Spears describes Asghari as “her rock” through the past few years, as he consistently supported her and stood by her through all her mental and physical struggles. 

However, it will be decided on September 29, Britney’s next hearing, when her marriage with Asghari will take place and if her current professional conservator will allow her to remove her IUD to have more children with her future husband. It will also be discussed whether a prenup will be required and if she will be fully freed from all conservatorships anytime soon, and be able to have full control over her life.

Here’s to hoping the “Stronger” singer will not only prevail and be fully freed from the constraints of her conservatorship in the days to come but also that the happy couple will be married as soon as they please! 

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!