Brand Spankin’ News: 5 Things You Should Know This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As busy college students it is all too easy to shut out the world outside of our college campuses, but now you can finally keep up with breaking stories from around the world. Here you can get a sharp and easy-to-digest weekly roundup on what is going on in the news – and even better, you can read it in 5 minutes or less.

1. Ralph Lauren Steps Down as CEO.

The quintessential American designer, who helped to put U.S. fashion on the map, is stepping down from his role of chief executive of the $7 billion dollar company. The new CEO will be Stefan Larsson, a former H&M executive and president of Old Navy. Mr. Lauren intends to remain active at the company, and characterized his relationship to Larsson as a “partnership.”

2. Ecuador’s President Warns a Rise in Oil Price.

While we collegiate live for low gas prices when filling up our cars, President Rafael Correa gave an ominous warning about the oil market on Tuesday. He stated that if the price of petroleum stays too low for too long, they could soar to record high prices. In the recession of 2008, oil was nearly $150 a barrel, now experts say it could rise to $200 a barrel. 

3. Kim Davis Claims she Met Pope Francis

Davis’ lawyer claims that the two secretly met in Washington during the pope’s visit to the United States last week. He said that the pope gave her rosaries and told her to “stay strong.” A spokesman for the Vatican said he could neither confirm nor deny the account.  The story may be true, since Davis was in Washington anyway to receive an award in recognition of her stand against same-sex marriage. 

4. Tropical Storm Joaquin Strengthens into Hurricane.

The storm, which had already been expected to drench the East Coast throughout the weekend, was categorized as a level 1 hurricane on Wednesday. Joaquin could affect the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast U.S. with 75 mph winds and over 3 inches of rain. Get your raingear ready Jaspers!

5. Facebook Copyright Status Hoax

If you have been on Facebook within the last few days, it is more likely than not you’ve seen countless statuses imploring you to shield your photographs and other information from copyright violations. Don’t worry; you don’t need to post a status. Your legal rights are not determined by what you post, but by the social network’s Terms of Service, which you already agreed to when creating an account. If you have concerns about your privacy, you can adjust your settings by going to “Privacy Shortcuts.” 

Ally Hutzler Writer, swimmer, and coffee-lover.