Brand Spankin’ News: 5 Things You Should Know This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As busy college students, it is all too easy to shut out the world outside of our college campuses, but now you can finally keep up with breaking stories from around the world. Here you can get a sharp and easy-to-digest weekly roundup on what is going on in the news – and even better, you can read it in five minutes or less.

1. Terrorist Attacks in Paris

129 people were killed in the terror attacks committed in France last Friday evening. Eight ISIS members coordinated attacks at six different locations, including the Stade de France, a concert hall, and several restuarants. The soccer stadium, which at the time of the attack was hosting a game between France and Germany, was high in security because President Hollande was in attendance. The bombers never made it into the stadium and detonated outside of the venue. Immediately following the attacks, France closed it’s borders and declared war on ISIS. 

2. White House Affirms Refugee Plan in Spite of Paris Attacks

Republicans are calling for the United States to reconsider it’s stance on Syrian refugees following the terrorist attacks that killed 129 people in Paris last week. However, the Obama administration stated on Tuesday that it will continue its plan of admitting 10,000 refugees into the country within the next year. Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said a “significant and robust” vetting process will be put into place to identify any security threats.

3. Russia Says Airplane Was Taken Down By Bomb

Last month, a Russian airplane carrying 224 people coming back from a vacation resort in Egypt crashed in the Sinai desert, killing everyone on board. Russia has recently confirmed that a homemade bomb was responsible for the explosion and crash. The Islamic State posted on its website a photo that they claim to be the bomb that brought down the jet, although the claim could not be verified. 

4. New Poll Reveals Half of New Yorkers Are Barely Making Ends Meet

A poll conducted by the New York Times and Siena College highlights the discrepencies in income across the five boroughs. Half of New Yorkers reported barely getting by or not getting by at all financially. In the borough of Manhattan, three in ten people reported they were just scraping by while in Brooklyn and the Bronx people were much economically insecure. Mayor Bill de Blasio’s “tale of two cities” is not much of an outcry afterall. 

5. Maryland College Closed As Dangerous Student Is Still Missing

Washington College cancelled classes for on Monday and Tuesday as the police are unable to find a student who has disappeared with a gun. The small liberal arts college announced that the school will remain closed until after the Thanksgiving holiday which is a full two weeks since the search for the student began. Jacob Marberger, a 19-year-old sophomore at Washington College, was accused of brandishing a pistol in October and was subsequently suspended. His parents reported Monday morning that he was missing from their family home and appeared to take a rifle with him. 

Ally Hutzler Writer, swimmer, and coffee-lover.