Brand Spankin’ News: 5 Things You Need to Know This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As busy college students it is all too easy to shut out the world outside of our college campuses, but now you can finally keep up with breaking stories from around the world. Here you can get a sharp and easy-to-digest weekly roundup on what is going on in the news – and even better, you can read it in five minutes or less.

1. Pope Francis Visits Madison Square Garden (MSG)

On Friday September 25th ant 6 p.m., Pope Francis will hold mass at Madison Square Garden. During his visit to New York City, he will also see Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, the United Nations, the 9/11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center and Our Lady Queen of Angels School in East Harlem. The mass will sit 20,000 people who were selected by a lottery system by various churches and schools. 40 students, faculty and staff from Manhattan College are even attending the event.

2. Scott Walker drops out of GOP Presidential Race

Scott Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, withdrew from the 2016 presidential race on Monday, September 21st. Walker entered the primary as a strong candidate as he was well liked by both the conservative base and big corporate donors. However, due to weak debate performances, he has been forced out of the running. He believes that he is being “called to lead by helping to clear the field in this race so that a positive, conservative message can rise to the top of the field.”

3. Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame Baseball Player, Dies at 90

Yogi Berra, a Hall of Fame catcher, died on Tuesday, September 22nd. He played 19 seasons in the Major Leagues, most of them for the New York Yankees, who, during his time with the team, won 10 World Series. Berra is widely known for his “Yogisms” or mystifying phrases including, “it ain’t over till it’s over.”

4. “Pizza Rat” Becomes New York City Mascot

There are few things that are more New York than a slice of pizza, the subway and a rat. A new YouTube video documenting one rat’s adventurous attempt of dragging a slice of pizza down the subway stairs is going viral. “He appears poised to complete the descent and return to his squalid rat hole with his unnecessarily large prize — an inspiring demonstration of the grit and determination one needs to make it in New York City,” Caroline Bankoff wrote for the Daily Intelligencer.

5. Volkswagen Under Fire as Emission Scandal Expands 

Volkswagen, everyone’s budget-friendly automobile company, is facing backlash after a report was released stating that the German company illegally installed software that would test better for curbing pollution. The Environmental Protection Agency ordered the company to recall 11 million cars. It remains unclear if Volkswagen officials will face charges.

Ally Hutzler Writer, swimmer, and coffee-lover.