body images 2019 02 14 about20timejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 02 14 about20timejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Rom-Coms for a Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

During the semester, things can get pretty stressful. Lots of homework, exams, papers, and projects can sometimes keep us from winding down and really relaxing. It feels like we have so many obligations and we don’t always prioritize making time for ourselves. To me, having movie nights are so important. I love to sit in bed by myself and put on something good and just relax for a while when things become too crazy. Here I’ve compiled a list of my favorite romantic comedies for when you just need a night in for a movie about romance and a good laugh. Most of these movies are a little old, from the 90s-2000s. I’m a big fan of older movies, so if you haven’t watched any of these, you definitely should! 

1.) Notting Hill (1999)

This is my all-time favorite movie. Of all time. First, it’s absolutely hilarious. This movie makes me laugh every time I watch it. Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts star in it, and it’s basically about a movie actress and an average bookshop owner who get involved with each other’s worlds, which are total opposites. The soundtrack is amazing, the characters are funny and lovable and also has moments of seriousness and some sadness. I will suggest this movie to anyone. Literally anyone. You’ll love it, I promise. 

2.) 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

I remember seeing this film being talked about all over TikTok and I knew I had to watch it. If you haven’t already watched it, you absolutely need to. It stars Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles and is about Ledger’s character being paid to try and swoon Stiles’ character, who has to have a boyfriend in order for her little sister to date someone, which is a rule set in place by their father. This is a pretty fun movie to watch and it’s something I can put on over and over. 

3.) Edward Scissorhands (1990)

I don’t know if you could call this a romantic comedy, but I felt that I needed to include my other favorite film on this list. The genre is listed on Google as romance/fantasy, so I think it could still count. This film is a classic and another movie that I don’t think I could ever get tired of. Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder star as Edward Scissorhands and Kim Boggs, who form a connection with each other after Depp’s character gets found by Kim’s mother, who invites him to stay with her family since he lived in an abandoned castle. The movie shows him living with the family and dealing with the troubles that come from the fact that he has scissors for his hands, which include dealing with nosey neighbors and Kim’s violent and jealous boyfriend. There are funny moments in the film, but for the most part, I think it’s fascinating to watch Depp’s character try and navigate living with this new family and watch as his connection with Kim grows. 

4.) The Wedding Planner (2001)

I watched this film pretty recently in full for the first time and I actually really enjoyed it. It stars Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey and is about a wedding planner who finds herself falling for the groom of the wedding she’s planning. McConaughey’s character saves her from getting hit by a car (before she finds out about the fact he’s getting married and she’s going to be the one planning it) and they spend the day together, and soon she finds out that he isn’t actually single. The movie shows her trying to manage planning this wedding while also having to be side by side with him while doing so, which causes some issues for her. I think this is a really likable film and one that I definitely suggest. 

Kaylin Flam

Manhattan '23

Kaylin is a sophomore majoring in communications at Manhattan College. On her free time she paints, does theatre, writes and spends time outdoors.