Awkward Post- Hookup Encounters And How To Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Attending Manhattan or a school like it, a college with just about 5,000 students, it’s not easy for you to avoid the typical post-hook up encounter. Walking from your dorm room to the dining hall makes it easy to encounter at least three familiar faces. And, I guarantee a lot of girls can relate to trying to avoid the guy they hung out with the previous night. Here are a few simple, but clever suggestions on how to deal with post-hookup encounters!

I Have A Text

When you see him coming your way, pick up your phone. It has to be the simplest thing to do to avoid someone. Almost every waking moment, everyone always has some sort of device in their hands, so it’s not uncommon to see someone walking through campus texting. Most of the time, a person won’t approach you if you are on your phone, just out of kindness. I suggest smiling at your phone or letting out a little laugh, just to make it look like your mind is in a completely different place, and no where near able to hold a conversation with someone at the moment.

The Phone Call

Everyone has that one person that no matter what time of the day it is, no matter where they are, they will always answer the phone. If the boy from last night is about to walk past you on the quad, whip out your phone and call this person. Even if you don’t have someone specific, call anyone, and start a conversation about anything. Puppies, what’s for lunch, or even the weather. It’s polite not to interrupt someone while they’re on the phone, so you have no chance of having to start a conversation with someone you don’t want to speak to.

Looking In Your Purse

This method could work sitting down, standing up, or even walking; look in your purse. Men know that women keep their lives in their purses. When he’s coming your way, dive your head into your purse and dig, dig, and keep on digging. Who cares if you’re looking for a tampon or your favorite lipstick. With your head stuck deep in your purse, there’s no way anyone could bother you. 

Change Directions 

Whether you’re in the O’Malley Library, or walking over the bridge to Horan, it’s never too late to change directions. Just when you thought you were going back to your dorm, think again. If someone you don’t want to speak to is coming your way, turn around and enjoy the fresh air and hundreds of steps on campus. 

Stuff Your Face

If you just happen to be in Lockes, it’s easy to stuff your face more than you ever have before. Plenty of people walk in an out of Lockes daily, especially everyone on campus with unlimited meal swipes. If you didn’t have the chance to sit in a private area, and the boy from last night is just about to swipe his card, stuff your face with some french fries and chicken fingers. Although that sounds like the most unattractive sight, a guy wont even dare to come near you with a mouth full of chicken fingers. 

Walk With A Friend

The buddy system never seemed to fail anyone. For girls, it’s common to always have another girl stuck to your side at all times. If there’s a certain time of the day when you know you’re going to run into that certain someone, bring a friend. While you two are walking, crack a joke… or just start laughing extremely loud out of no where. It’s bound to make him look, but there’s no way he’ll even try to interrupt. 

The Stranger

Desperate times call for desperate measures. If this is your last resort, just do it. If you’re walking down campus, or sitting in the Kelly Commons drinking a coffee, and your awkward hookup victim is walking near, start up a conversation with the person nearest to you. They may think it’s weird, or maybe not. Just be honest, start up a conversation about what situation you’re trying to avoid right now. Maybe you’ll make a friend for life.

RikkiLynn is a New Jersey native who currently attends Manhattan College where she is majoring in Communications and English. She enjoys writing about all things pertaining to health, life, love, style, sex, and words. When she’s not writing, she enjoys drinking coffee, filmmaking, painting, photography, reading, running, traveling, and doing yoga. Stalk her at rikkilynn.com.