This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Samantha Keating

It’s about that time of year when stress is all consuming and the only thing on your mind is due dates, exams, & the next paper you have to write. While this time is incredibly frustrating and requires a lot of hard work, I think it’s important to acknowledge not only the hard work you personally have done but also the work of your friends.

Your friends, if they’re anything like mine, are basically machines. They go non-stop from the early hours of the morning until late at night, working tirelessly on their assignments and extracurricular activities while still managing to have smiles on their faces and continuously make you laugh. They make you feel as if together you are all a well-oiled machine, (even when you’re not).

My friends are the best people I know. They inspire me and encourage me and instill positive values within me. Through them I have learned immensely valuable lessons in time management, organization, having well-rounded morals, and strong values. But the most important lesson I have learned from my friends is more of a gift. The gift of knowing that no matter what and no matter where under any circumstances I will always have them. They have come through for me time after time, they have caused me joy when all I thought possible was pain. They are everything that is good in this world & more, and I love them so much. 

Let this serve as a reminder to appreciate your friends, they’re there for you even when it is hard for you to be there for yourself. And to my friends, I thank you sincerely and promise to be there for you for the rest of our lives.

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!